Wireless Communication Facilities
Wireless Communication Facilities (WCF) consist of antennas and equipment that transmit and receive data for cell phone and other mobile communication services. The Telecom Section reviews applications for compliance with the City's Land Development Code. There are approximately 3,000 WCF within the City.
Wireless Communication Facility (WCF) Requirements
- Wireless Communication Facility Regulations (Land Development Code, 141.0420)
- Information Bulletin 536 (IB 536), "Wireless Communication Facilities"
This information bulletin describes the submittal requirements for wireless communication facilities (WCFs) including Spectrum Act applications. IB 536 also contains the City Consent Application Form to be submitted with all WCF applications.
- Council Policy 600-43, "City of San Diego Wireless Communication Facilities Policy"
- General Plan - Urban Design Element, UD-A.15 (Wireless Facilities), Pages 14-15.
Radio Frequency (RF) Safety
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulates safety related to cell phones and antenna facilities. Based on regulations set forth in the Telecommunications Act of 1996, the City is not permitted to evaluate applications based on health-related concerns. However, prior to issuance of a building permit, wireless carriers are required to submit a report demonstrating compliance with FCC regulations. For more information, see the links below:
- FCC Guide: Human Exposure to RF Fields Guidelines for Cellular and PCS Sites
- RadTown USA Information from the U.S. EPA regarding radiation sources.
- US Food & Drug Administration Information from the FDA regarding cell phones.
Facilities on City Property
The City of San Diego's Real Estate Assets Department welcomes the opportunity to lease City property to wireless communication carriers seeking to expand their network infrastructure within the City and on City-owned property throughout the County of San Diego. Please contact Enza Charles at [email protected] or (619) 236-6052.
- Council Policy 700-10, "Disposition of City-owned Real Property" Discusses leases with the City for telecommunication facilities.
- Consent Form (required for all WCF applications on City property and within public right-of-way areas).
- Small Cell Application Form
- Right-of-way (ROW) - ROW Small Cell Process Flow Chart