Capacity Building Program
The City periodically receives requests from neighborhood based nonprofit organizations in need of funding to support their mission. The City values the vital role these organizations play in furthering the City’s economic and workforce development objectives. In order to assist these organizations anticipate annual funding challenges, the City’s Economic Development Department has created the Capacity Building Program for the specific purpose of providing available funding for nonprofit organizations that operate within, and/or serve the economic development, community development, or employment needs of residents within traditionally underinvested neighborhoods within the former San Diego Regional Enterprise Zone (SDREZ).
ORGANIZATION LEGAL STATUS: Nonprofit
CONTRACT DURATION: Twelve (12) months
AVAILABLE FUNDING: Maximum $20,000 (per qualifying organization)
ALLOCATION AND USE OF FUNDS:
- Funds will not be available for disbursement until a final agreement is fully executed, and all necessary internal accounting protocols have been established.
- Contract awardees are not eligible to receive funding from other City source(s) during contract period.
- Awarded funds must be fully expended within 12-months from the date the contract is fully executed.
- Any unexpended budget funds remaining after the contract period has expired will be recaptured and returned to the pool fund for the Capacity Building Program.
- Requests from Capacity Building Program participants to receive reimbursement for contractual activities and/or services associated with “other” City fund source(s) are prohibited within contract award period.
- Fund recipients have the opportunity to reapply for program funding after five (5) years from the date the Capacity Building contract is fully executed, unless Program funding has been expended.
Selection Process- APPLICATION
- Capacity Building program applications may be submitted any time (See application).
- Applications will be evaluated for consistency with preceding Capacity Building Program “General Requirements”.
- CITY OF SAN DIEGO ADOPTED FY2017-2019 ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT STRATEGY (EDS): A vital component of the selection process will require applicants to identify how their proposed program(s) or service(s) will further goals of the City’s EDS. In particular, the City will ask each applicant to demonstrate how their specific proposal (scope of services and programs) will address, impact and/or comply with the following sections of the EDS:
Section 2-1 (Strategic Objectives)
Section 2-2 (Economic Performance Indicators)
Section 6.2 (Workforce Development & Education)
The Economic Development Department will send organizations an email confirmation of the Capacity Building application within three business days of receipt. Organizations will be notified via email about the status of their application within two (2) weeks from receipt of completed application.
Approved applications will be routed to assigned Economic Development Department staff for contract processing. The City’s contractual process is required in order to make funding available for reimbursement of programs and services provided per the agreed upon scope of services and budget (contract).
All contracts will be required to provide the following information:
- Scope of work, programs and/or services to be provided (See application).
- Proposed budget to complete scope of work, programs and/or services (See application).
- Proposed schedule for completing scope of work, programs and/or services (See application).
- Process and documentation to request fund reimbursement (See application).
- Supplemental documents and disclosures as may be required by the City’s standard nonprofit contracting provisions.
Depending on the proposed scope of programs/services/activities to be provided per the agreement, and timely receipt of all required supporting documents and forms to be provided by the contract awardee, it will take approximately 8-12 weeks to execute a final agreement.
The Nonprofit Academy
Applicants who have been selected to participate in the Capacity Building Program will be required to attend the City’s Nonprofit Academy, either prior to the award or within six (6) months following contract execution. All requests for contract reimbursement will be withheld until a designated representative of the organization completes the Academy curriculum.
For Additional Information
Contact Kevin Sullivan at [email protected] or 619-533-5954.