Here are some helpful tips you can use to ease the transition from weekly yard waste collection to every other week:
Reduce Your Green Waste
- Water a little less. If done appropriately, this will slow grass growth. For a handy landscape watering calculator and other water conservation tips, visit the City's Water Conservation Program Web site.
- Buy a mulching lawn mower. Newer or electric mowers pollute the air less. Mulching reduces the need to water as frequently and results in a healthier, more drought resistant lawn.
- Change water-hungry landscaping to a drought-tolerant Xeriscape style. For information on water-wise landscaping:
Recycle Your Yard Waste
- Try backyard composting. Purchase a backyard compost bin from Environmental Services Department for $19.95 (while supplies last). For more info call 858-694-7000.
- Use a thin layer of grass clippings as a protective mulch around shrubs to control weeds and reduce water use.
- Avoid leaving your lawn trimmings in an air-tight container. Either open the can lid a crack, or drill holes in the bottom of your bin to aerate the clippings.
- Minimize the number of containers needed by bundling as much yard waste as possible.
- Buy stackable cans/bins to save storage space.
- Purchase a reusable plastic yard waste sack from the Environmental Services Department for $20. Call 858-694-7000 for more information.
- If you have a large lot, you may be eligible to purchase a 96-gallon automated green container, if resources are available. To be considered for eligibility, lot size must be one-half acre or larger and your yard waste production must be more than five - 32-gallon containers per week (160 gallons). If approved, the bin can be purchased for $50. Call 858-694-7000 for more information.
All collected yard waste is turned into high-quality compost and mulch at the Miramar Landfill. The City accepts only clean yard waste for collection. Your yard waste container will not be collected if it contains the following:
- plastic of any kind, especially bags,
- paper bags,
- glass, or
- trash of any kind.