Sustainable Community Program
Leaving a legacy of a city worthy of affection for many generations to come.
As part of the City's ongoing efforts to implement the Climate Action Plan goals set in 2015, the Environmental Services Department has taken a leadership role to advance policies and practices that support a more sustainable future. By working in concert with City departments and the community, we are leaving a legacy of a city worthy of affection for many generations to come. This department plays a lead role in in many actions and goals adopted in the Climate Action Plan (formerly Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation Plan). Actions include:
- Increase use of renewable energy to achieve 100% citywide in 2035;
- Present to City Council a Residential Energy Conservation and Disclosure Ordinance and a Municipal Energy Strategy and Implementation Plan;
- Supporting Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) financing to facilitate residential and commercial property upgrades;
- Expanding Green Business program to increase energy efficiency education and resources to businesses within City of San Diego;
- Providing weatherization and other energy efficiency upgrades for low and moderate income households through Community Development Block Grant funding; and
- San Diego’s “Smart” Adaptive Control Street lighting retrofit plan will install between 13,000 and 15,000 energy efficient and smart streetlights.
Recognizing, acknowledging and modifying YOUR actions to live more sustainably.
- San Diego Foundation's Key Findings on Countywide Climate Change Survey
- Solar Survey: 2009
- Calculate Your Ecological Footprint (link is external)
- Home Water Saver (link is external)
Companies and organization connect to make sustainable choices.
- Center for a New American Dream (link is external)
- UCSD Sustainability Solutions Institute (link is external)
- Center for Sustainable Energy (CSE) (link is external)
- US Green Building Council (link is external)
- Climate Protection Champion Awards Presented by the City of San Diego
The City's commitment to respect the environment.
- Energy Strategy for a Sustainable Future
- Solar Energy Implementation Plan
- 2005 Climate Protection Action Plan
- Executive Summary for the Climate Protection Action Plan
- Environmental Preferable Purchasing Policy (EP3)
- City of San Diego General Plan, Conservation Element
- Video: Energizing Sustainable Cities - The Power of Planning and Design
- Background to Energizing Sustainable Cities video
Programs to inspire and educate us.
- Climate Change Related Impacts in the San Diego Region by 2050
- San Diego Foundation: 2050 Projections
- San Diego Foundation: 2050 Projections-Appendices
- Green Students & Annual Youth Forum
- Statewide Summit for Municipal Leaders on Climate Change Mitigation and Adaption
Sustainability facts, frequently asked questions, and City of San Diego links.
- 1990-2004: Greenhouse Gas Emission Inventory
- San Diego Sustainable Community Program Indicators
- What is an Urban Heat Island?