Contractors must abide by the requirements of Sections 1777.5, 1777.6, and 1777.7 of the State of California Labor Code concerning the employment of apprentices by a Contractor and any Subcontractor performing a public works contract.
Contractors must submit Contract Award Information (DAS 140) to every apprenticeship program in the geographic area of the public works project, for each craft you intend to employ on the project.
All contractors (who are not already employing sufficient apprentices) are required to request dispatch (either consecutively or simultaneously) from all approved apprenticeship programs in the geographical area of the project.
An apprentice must be properly registered in an approved apprenticeship program certified by the California Division of Apprenticeship Standards (DAS). If an apprentice is not registered, journeyman wages must be paid. For more information on apprentice programs and for a list of approved programs by county and craft, visit the DAS Apprenticeship Program Information
- DAS Instructions To All Public Works Contractors
- DAS Summary of Requirements
- Excerpts from CA Labor Code: Apprentices on Public Works
- Employment of Apprentices
For more information on approved apprentice programs, please view the links below.
- Associated Builders and Contractors Apprenticeships
- Associated General Contractors Apprenticeship Program
- United Pipe Pros
- Inner-city Community Unilateral Apprenticeship Committee
- United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners - Local Unions
- San Diego City College Apprenticeship Program
For more information in apprentice requirements, please use the links below.
- California Apprenticeship Council
- California Apprenticeship Programs
- California Division of Apprenticeship Standards
- State of California: Resources, Reports, and Forms on Apprenticeship
Do you know of any other apprenticeship programs in the state that would help increase apprenticeship utilization? Please email [email protected].