Mayoral Letters & Proclamations
Guidelines for All Documents
- Any document requests must be in writing, preferably in electronic format.
- Requests need to be made at least three weeks prior to the due date.
*Any request made with less than a three week notice will be reviewed based on existing backlog, overall workload, and completeness of information provided. Late requests (with less than a three week notice) may be denied due to time constraints.
- All requests must include the following information:
- Event Date
- Due Date*
- Contact Information
- Mailing address
- Relevant biographical information about the event or recipient of the document
- There is a limit of one type of document (proclamation, commendation, certificate and special letter) per organization or event from the Mayor's Office.
- Language sent in by the requestor may be revised for content and changes made by the Mayor's Office are final.
- The event must have a direct impact on the City of San Diego.
- All requests may be subject to evaluation by the Review Committee for approval.
- The type of document prepared by the Mayor's Office will be selected by the Review Committee for appropriateness and in some cases may be different from the requested.
* Due Date: The date the completed document is required for pick up, mail out, or presentation.
A Proclamation is a document , that dedicates a day in the City of San Diego to honor a special event, cause or purpose.
- Requests must include several (6-8) one sentence factual statements about important things the organization/individual has done throughout its history, highlights, facts, etc and why this day should be proclaimed.
- Maximum one proclamation per year.
These letters are used for events, such as retirement, special birthdays, anniversaries, general recognition earned by a citizen of the City of San Diego (such as graduations, Eagle Scout, Annual Teacher Award, etc.)
Retirement Recognition - recipient must have completed +30 years in civic or public duty, or +20 years in military service.
Birthday Recognition - recipient must be completing +80 years and be a resident of San Diego.
Wedding Anniversaries - the recipients must be celebrating 50 or more years and residents of the City of San Diego.
City Event Greetings, welcome, and/or congratulations - event must be approved by the Mayor's Office.
Endorsements/Letters of Recommendation - In order to serve all of the City of San Diego constituents equally, we encourage constituents to contact their councilmembers for any letters of recommendation or endorsements.
Submitting a Request
All requests should be addressed to:
Office of International Affairs and Protocol
Office of Mayor Kevin Faulconer
202 C Street, 11th Floor
San Diego, CA 92101