Monday, June 2, 2014 - NEWS RELEASE
San Diego - Today Mayor Kevin L. Faulconer and City Council President Todd Gloria joined Caltrans officials for the reopening of the historic Cabrillo Bridge, which had been closed to traffic since January for repair work.
"This iconic structure has been getting some much needed attention over the past few months," Faulconer said. "Today we are reopening the bridge to motorists, once again providing them with some of the most breathtaking views of San Diego. The completion of this project is one of the key milestones in preparing Balboa Park for the 2015 centennial celebration."
The Cabrillo Bridge was built for the 1915 Panama-California Exposition, the 100th anniversary of which will be commemorated next year with a centennial celebration. The bridge, including its approaches, is 916 feet long and is comprised of seven 56-foot semicircular arches.
"The reopening of the bridge deck is an important milestone in this $38 million infrastructure project," Gloria said. "The rehabilitation of the Cabrillo Bridge is one of the many capital improvements underway in Balboa Park to make sure our crown jewel is not only ready for the centennial but is able to maintain its splendor for the next 100 years."
The retrofit and rehabilitation of Cabrillo Bridge by Caltrans will continue through the fall, but traffic will now be allowed to cross the bridge and enter Balboa Park. The project is reinforcing the bridge's pedestals with an integrated mesh of steel reinforcements that will make it more resilient during a seismic event. It also includes improvements to the concrete surface of the bridge and the addition of special lighting underneath the span.
"The opening of the deck signifies our halfway mark on this project," said Laurie Berman, Director for Caltrans District 11. "There is still a lot of work to complete inside and on the exterior of this San Diego landmark seen by drivers on State Route 163."
CONTACT: Craig Gustafson at (619) 453-9880 or [email protected]