Friday, Dec. 26, 2014 - NEWS RELEASE
San Diego - Today Mayor Kevin L. Faulconer released a video message reminding San Diegans that the City will collect and recycle Christmas trees for free over the next few weeks. The program is available at locations in neighborhoods across the city.
San Diegans, we're here to help during this holiday season," Mayor Faulconer said. "Not sure what to do with your Christmas tree? The City will collect your tree and recycle it for you. It's an easy and convenient way to make sure your tree gets recycled properly."
The public service announcement is available online here and will air regularly on CityTV, Ch. 24 (Cox and Time Warner) and Ch. 99 (AT&T U-Verse)
The City's 41st Annual Christmas Tree Recycling Program begins Friday, Dec. 26, and runs through Jan. 23.
This year's program offers 16 locations where residents can go to drop off their tree for recycling. The City also offers curbside pickup of trees for residents who receive curbside yard waste collection from the City.
Mayor Faulconer reminded San Diegans that by recycling trees residents can help reduce the amount of material in the landfill and give holiday trees a second life as compost, mulch or wood chips.
The drop-off locations are in the following neighborhoods:
- Carmel Valley: Carmel Valley Recreation Center, 3777 Townsgate Dr.
- Encanto: Cielo Drive at Woodman Street
- Golden Hill: Golden Hill Recreation Center, 2600 Golf Course Dr.
- La Jolla: Kate Sessions Memorial Park, Soledad Road and Loring Street
- Logan Heights: Memorial Recreation Center, 2902 Marcy Ave.
- Miramar: Miramar Landfill at Greenery, 5180 Convoy St., north of Highway 52
- Mission Bay: SeaWorld Drive at Pacific Highway
- Oak Park: Chollas Park, 6350 College Grove Dr.
- Ocean Beach: Robb Athletic Field Recreation Center, 2525 Bacon St.
- Otay Mesa/Nestor: Montgomery Waller Community Park, 3020 Coronado Ave. (lower west parking lot on Palm Avenue)
- Rancho Bernardo: Rancho Bernardo Recreation Center, 18448 W. Bernardo Dr.
- Rancho Peñasquitos: Canyonside Recreation Center, 12350 Black Mountain Rd.
- San Diego State University: Parking Lot D off Alvarado Road
- Scripps Ranch: Scripps Ranch Recreation Center, 11454 Blue Cypress Dr.
- Tierrasanta: Gaspar de Portola Middle School, 11010 Clairemont Mesa Blvd.
- University City: Swanson Pool, 3585 Governor Dr.
For more information, call the City's Environmental Services Department at (858) 694-7000 or go to recyclingworks.com.
CONTACT: Craig Gustafson at (619) 453-9880 or [email protected]