Preventing Sewer Spills
Here are some easy things you can do to help reduce sewer spills.
- If you see, smell or suspect a sewer spill, report it immediately by calling (619) 515-3525.
- Prevent drain clogs and sewer blockages by putting small amounts of cooking oil and grease in the trash, not down the drain. Larger amounts of cooking oil (e.g. oil from turkey deep fryers) can be disposed at the Miramar Landfill Recycling Center.
- Keep roots out of sewer pipelines by planting trees and bushes away from your home lateral connection to the sewer line.
- Keep your sewer lateral clean through regular maintenance.
- Never throw garbage or debris into manholes.
- Immediately report any vandalism to a manhole by calling 9-1-1.
- Join the Volunteer Canyon Watchers Program and report any real or potential sewer spill to (619) 515-3525.