Benefits for San Diego Police Officers
- Four-Day Work Week
- 11 Paid Holidays per year
- 13 Days Paid Annual Leave per Year to start (up to 21 days per year depending on length of service)
- Shift differential pay
- Educational incentive pay
- Yearly uniform allowance
- Flexible Benefits Plan (Includes Health, Dental, Vision)
- Excellent Retirement Program - 3% at 55
- 401K/Deferred Compensation Plans available
- Tuition Reimbursement - $1000 per year
- 30 Days Paid Military Leave per Year
- Paid Overtime
- Special Assignment Pay
- Police Recruit $23.22/ hour - $48,000/ year
- Police Officer I $26.04/ hour $54,000/ year to $28.59/ hour- $60,000/ year
- Police Officer II $33.18/ hour $69,000/ year to $36.51/ hour $76,000/ year
For the latest salary information, visit the City of San Diego Personnel Department Salary Table
- Chief of Police
- Assistant Police Chief
- Police Captain
- Police Lieutenant
- Police Sergeant
- Community Relations Assistant to the Chief of Police
- Police Officer III
- Police Officer II
- Police Officer I
- Police Recruit (entry level)
Police Recruit – Entry level, no law enforcement experience required
Police Officer I – CA POST Certified academy graduate OR less than two years of patrol experience
Police Officer II – Two or more years of patrol experience
Benefits for Police Dispatchers
Starting salary for Police 9-1-1 Dispatchers is $16.36 an hour, plus incentive pay.
Police Dispatchers starting pay is $21.75 an hour, plus incentive pay.
Examples of incentive pay include:
- Five percent shift differential;
- Five percent Peace Officers Standards & Training (POST) incentive (required);
- Five percent 911 Emergency Dispatcher pay;
- $.70 per hour bilingual pay;
- $.90 per hour trainer pay;
- $1000 per year of tuition reimbursement.
City of San Diego employees may join the Municipal Employees Association (MEA) which is the bargaining unit for benefits and pay raises. MEA members can receive legal representation and discount tickets to Knott's Berry Farm, Magic Mountain, the San Diego Zoo/Wild Animal Park and other attractions.
City of San Diego employees receive 11 paid holidays per year and three weeks annual leave for the first five years of service.
The city offers a cafeteria-style benefits package where each employee is allotted a sum of money. Health insurance and life insurance are required for all employees unless covered by a spouse or significant other. Employees may select from approximately three choices of health-care providers.
The Communications Division operates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The shift schedules vary and can change depending upon the season. Communications full-time staff work four ten-hour shifts with three consecutive days off each week.
If you have an emergency, dial 9-1-1.
To access 9-1-1 from a cell phone or outside San Diego, dial 619-531-2065.
For 24-hour non-emergencies, dial 619-531-2000 or 858-484-3154.