City of San Diego's Climate Action Plan
With the goal of creating a cleaner San Diego for future generations, the City of San Diego’s Climate Action Plan (CAP) calls for eliminating half of all greenhouse gas emissions in the City and aims for all electricity used in the city to be from renewable sources by 2035.
Mayor Faulconer brought together environmental, business and community leaders to endorse the Climate Action Plan, and the City Council approved the CAP in December 2015.
The Climate Action Plan is a package of policies that will benefit San Diego’s environment and economy. It will help create new jobs in the renewable energy industry, improve public health and air quality, conserve water, more efficiently use existing resources, increase clean energy production, improve quality of life and save taxpayer money.
The plan identifies steps the City of San Diego can take to achieve the 2035 targets. That list includes creating a renewable energy program; implementing a zero waste plan; and changing policy to have a majority of the City’s fleet be electric vehicles.
The Climate Action Plan helps achieve the greenhouse gas reduction targets set forth by the state of California. The City’s first Climate Action Plan was approved in 2005 and a commitment to update the plan was included in the City’s 2008 General Plan update.
- 2018 Climate Action Plan Annual Report
- 2018 Climate Action Plan Annual Report Appendix
- 2018 Climate Action Plan Annual Report Half Card
- 2017 Climate Action Plan Annual Report
- Appendix for 2017 Annual Report
- 2016 Annual Report - Climate Action Plan
- Appendix to the 2016 Annual Report
- Sustainability Progress Report (2016)
- Mayor's Press Conference on 2016 Annual Report of the City's Climate Action Plan (Nov. 16, 2016)
Climate Action Plan and Related Documents
- Climate Action Plan - adopted December 2015
- Climate Action Plan -- All Appendices, Final March 2017
- City of San Diego Climate Action Plan Final Environmental Impact Report
- Transit Priority Area Map
Climate Action Plan Implementation
- FY 2018 Climate Action Plan -- New Funds
- Fiscal year 2017 Climate Action Plan Funding & Implementation Report
- Appendix B (link is external) of the fiscal year 2017 Climate Action Plan Funding & Implementation Report – open source version that provides the background documentation used to generate budget data for the fiscal year 2017 CAP Funding & Implementation Report.