Paint Recycling and Disposal
PaintCare is a nonprofit established by the American Coating Association to manage leftover and unused architectural paint. PaintCare has established drop-off sites in San Diego County. These sites will accept architectural paint from residents.
Find the nearest PaintCare drop-off location: www.paintcare.org/drop-off-locations/
Most PaintCare locations have a 5-gallon limit on the quantity of architectural paint they can accept. Paint containers must be 5-gallon in size or smaller. Leaking, unlabeled and empty containers are not accepted at PaintCare drop-off sites.
Architectural paint accepted at PaintCare locations:
- interior and exterior architectural paints;
- latex, acrylic, water-based, alkyd, oil-based, enamel (all types of finishes and sheens, including textured coatings);
- deck coatings, floor paints (including elastomeric);
- primers, sealers, and under coaters;
- shellacs, lacquers, varnishes, urethanes (single component);
- waterproofing concrete/masonry/wood sealers and repellents (not tar or bitumen-based);
- swimming pool paints (single component); and
- metal coatings, rust preventatives.
PaintCare drop-off sites will accept architectural paint from trade painters, contractors and other businesses with one restriction: if your business generates more than 27 gallons of hazardous waste per month, you can only drop off latex paint at PaintCare locations.
For more information: http://www.paintcare.org/paintcare-states/california/ or call (855) 724-6809