Information for Candidates & Committees
Note: The next candidate training for the 2018 primary election will be held on Friday, March 2, 2018, at noon in the Council Committee Room located on the 12th floor of the City Administration Building, 202 C Street, San Diego.
For campaign finance information pertaining to specific City elections, please refer to the Ethics Commission's Campaign Information page.
Candidates for local elective office, and campaign committees that support or oppose such candidates, are subject to both state and local campaign finance laws. The Ethics Commission has jurisdiction over local campaign finance laws, also referred to as the Election Campaign Control Ordinance (ECCO). Local campaign finance laws are more restrictive than those at the state, and include campaign contribution limits and disclosure requirements not found in state law.
State campaign laws are enforced by the Fair Political Practices Commission (FPPC), which has prepared campaign manuals applicable to all candidates and committees. The Ethics Commission has prepared its own campaign manuals (see links below) specifically designed for candidates and committees participating in City of San Diego elections.
For questions regarding how to become a candidate or when to file campaign statements, please contact the City Clerk's office. If you have questions regarding what to disclose on those statements, contact the Ethics Commission.
Campaign Laws and Educational Materials
- San Diego Campaign Laws [ECCO]
- Campaign Fact Sheets
- Top 10 Rules for City Candidates
- Top 10 Rules for Committees Making Independent Expenditures
- Local Laws Different From State Law
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Campaign Webinars
- Video of Money in Politics Forum (April 18, 2016)
- 2018 Candidate Manual (rev. January 2018)
- 2018 Committee Manual (rev. January 2018)
- Manual for Candidates Raising Less than $2,000 (revised January 2016)
- State Campaign Forms
- Form EC:LDF-DPM Professional Expense Committee - Disclosure of Pending Matters
- Form EC-703 Electioneering Communication Disclosure Report
2017-2018 Review of Campaign Advertisement Laws
- Proposed Amendments to ECCO (1/11/18)
- Executive Director Memorandum to the Ethics Commission (1/5/18)
- Proposed Amendments to ECCO (1/5/18)
- Comparison of State Laws with Proposed Local Laws (1/5/18)
- Executive Director Memorandum to the Ethics Commission (12/01/17)
- Executive Director Memorandum to the Ethics Commission (11/01/17)
- Executive Director Memorandum to the Ethics Commission (10/10/17)
Historical ECCO Information
For memorandums, bulletins, draft amendments, and ordinances pertaining to past versions of ECCO, please visit the Ethics Commission's ECCO History page.