San Diego

Accessibility Tools

Required Documentation For Permits

The Neighborhood Parking Protection Ordinance (NPPO) creates safer streets and neighborhoods through minimizing the negative effects of oversized vehicles, such as RVs, trailers, and boats, parking on public streets. Specifically, section 86.0138 of the San Diego Municipal Code (SDMC) prohibits oversized, non-motorized and recreational vehicles from parking on public streets between the hours of 2:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. and prohibits parking any such vehicle within fifty (50) feet of an intersection at any time. Residents may obtain a Temporary Overnight Recreational Vehicle Permit (TORVP) which will allow for overnight parking of RVs on the Resident's block.

In order to make the process efficient and accessible to all residents, the City has implemented an online permitting system that allows San Diego residents to request a permit to allow them to park a Recreational Vehicle within the same block as their residence. Our new TORVP online application can be found here starting July 8, 2014.

First time users must create an account through the new web application and provide valid proof of residency as outlined in the Required Documentation for TORVP below. Once the account is approved residents may logon and purchase temporary permits as needed up to the maximum consecutive and annual limits listed below.

Permit Fees

The cost per twenty four (24) hour permit is $1.25. All fees are non-refundable.

Number of Permits Allowed

A maximum of seventy two (72) permits are allowed per address, per year. Permits may be issued, but not exceed, three (3) consecutive twenty-four (24) hour periods.

Required Documentation for TORVP Permits

Proof of residency, tenancy or property ownership is necessary when requesting NPPO permits. You will be required to provide copies of two of the following documents showing applicants name, and qualifying address:

  • A valid California driver's license, or vehicle registration.
  • A current utility bill (for example: City of San Diego Sewer or Water bill, gas and electric, phone).
  • A property deed or tax bill or closing escrow statement (for recently purchased property or when applicant is a non-resident property owner).
  • A rental/lease agreement for qualifying address. Agreement must reflect qualifying address, tenants name(s) and signatures of both the landlord/agent and the tenant/applicant.

Note: Law requires all licensed drivers and all registered vehicle owners to notify DMV of change of address within 10 days of moving.

You must have Javascript enabled to use this form.