2016 Public Outreach Award - Chicano Park Improvement Project
Description: The American Planning Association recognized the Chicano Park Improvement Project’s community outreach as a unique success story worthy of recognition. Chicano Park was born from the vein of community empowerment and self-expression and continues to be cared for by a passionate and outspoken group of citizens committed to ongoing advocacy and preservation. The park is the crown jewel of San Diego’s predominately Latino Barrio Logan community and a celebrated regional destination for its rich display of art and culture. In 2012, the City of San Diego was awarded a State grant for $1.08 million to plan, design, and construct recreational improvements in Chicano Park in partnership with the Urban Corps of San Diego County. Working in close partnership with the community, the City ensured that improvements were true to the park’s culture, style and artistic heritage.
One of the many highlights of the project is the new playground equipment, custom designed to reflect the Aztec theme and honor the Aztec culture.
2016 Comprehensive Plan Award - Large Jurisdiction for the Southeastern San Diego & Encanto Neighborhoods, Community Plan Updates
The San Diego Chapter of the American Planning Association recognized the Southeastern San Diego and Encanto Neighborhoods Community Plan Updates as efforts that demonstrate a significant achievement for the San Diego region in accomplishing positive changes as a result of planning by preparing comprehensive community plans that will guide growth and enhance quality of life in a manner that implements the community’s vision as well as the City’s General Plan. The plans focus future mixed-use high density growth and development in close proximity to the transit corridors and stations, and preserve existing single-family and historic neighborhoods. To learn more about the plan updates, visit the Planning Department's Community Profiles Page at https://www.sandiego.gov/planning/community/profiles.
Lara Gates, 2016 Winner of the Advancing Diversity and Social Change in Honor of Paul Davidoff Award
Lara Gates, Community Planner, was given the prestigious award by the American Planning Association - San Diego Chapter on May 5, 2016. This award honors an individual, project, group, or organization that promotes diversity and demonstrates a sustained commitment to advocacy by addressing the concerns of women and minorities through specific actions or contributions within the planning profession or through planning practice. The award honors the late APA member, Paul Davidoff, for his contributions to the planning profession.
- The Otay Mesa Community Plan received a San Diego Section American Planning Association Comprehensive Planning Award for a Large Jurisdiction.
- The Barrio Logan Gateway Sign in Barrio Logan received a San Diego Section American Planning Association Implementation Award for a Large Jurisdiction.
- The City Heights Urban Greening Plan received a San Diego Section American Planning Association Innovation in Green Community Planning Award.
- The City of San Diego Bicycle Master Plan and EIR received a San Diego Section American Planning Association Transportation Planning Award.
- The National Avenue and Euclid Avenue Gateway Master Plans Brochures EIR received San Diego Section American Planning Association Merit Awards.
- The Otay Mesa Community Plan received an Association of Environmental Professionals Outstanding Planning Document Award.
- The San Diego River Park Master received a San Diego Section American Planning Association Comprehensive Planning Award for a Large Jurisdiction.
- The Pop-Up Outreach for the Southeastern San Diego and Encanto Neighborhoods Community Plan Updates received a San Diego Section American Planning Association Public Outreach Award.
- The Barrio Logan Community Plan Update Historic Context, Survey and Historic Preservation Element received a Community History Award by the City of San Diego’s Historic Resources Board.
- The General Plan’s Housing Element received a San Diego Section American Planning Association Outstanding Planning Award for Comprehensive Planning.
- The Planning Project Mercado del Barrio, received a California Chapter American Planning Association Award of Excellence.
- The Affordable Housing Parking Study received both a California Chapter and a San Diego Section American Planning Association Award for Best Practices and Honorable Mention.