SDPD is still hiring amid the COVID-19 crisis. All testing processes are continuing as scheduled.


San Diego

Accessibility Tools

  • Check if your spelling is correct, or try removing filters.
  • Remove quotes around phrases to match each word individually: "blue drop" will match less than blue drop.
  • You can require or exclude terms using + and -: big +blue drop will require a match on blue while big blue -drop will exclude results that contain drop.

Citizens' Online Reporting Frequently Asked Questions

Return to Online Reporting

Question What do I do if online reporting is not right for me?
Answer If your incident is an emergency, call 9-1-1. For non-emergency incidents, call (619) 531-2000.


Question What if this happened in another city or county? Can I file a report using the on-line Citizen reporting system?
Answer No. If a crime took place outside the jurisdiction of the City of San Diego, please call the law enforcement agency for that city, unincorporated county area, or jurisdiction (e.g. CHP).


Question What if this happened on a state freeway?
Answer If the incident took place on a California freeway, please contact the California Highway Patrol Office nearest you.


Question What is a known suspect?
Answer A known suspect is when you or someone else knows the person who committed the crime, where the person may be found, or the license plate number of the vehicle used by the suspect.

Question What if my credit or debit card were used without my authorization?
Answer Financial crimes are not reportable online. Please call (619) 531-2000 to report a financial crime.

Question What if my identity has been stolen?
Answer Identity theft is not reportable online. Please call (619) 531-2000 to report an identity theft.

Question How can I report lost property?
Answer You may file a lost property report online if:

  1. The property is valued under $500 and has a known serial number, identification number or name affixed to it (excluding firearms).
  2. Any lost property valued between $500 and $5,000 (excluding firearms).

You must call (619) 531-2000 to report lost property involving firearms or valued $5,000 or more.

Reports for lost property valued under $500, without a known serial number, identification number or name affixed to it will not be accepted.

Question What is a Hate Crime?
Answer Hate crimes are criminal actions intended to harm or intimidate people because of their race, religion, sexual orientation, handicap, ethnicity or national origin. If you believe this to be the case, we ask that you call (619) 531-2000 and file your report with an officer.


Question How do I obtain copies of a police report?

If you have filed a police report online, you will receive a PDF copy as an attachment in your email within five business days of approval.

Additional requests for police reports may be made in person (Monday - Friday between 7:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.) or by mail (include parties involved, date and location of occurrence, report number if available and a self-addressed stamped envelope). Fees are $12 per report (check or money order payable to the City Treasurer ).

San Diego Police Department
Records, MS 726
1401 Broadway
San Diego, California 92101

For further information, please call (619) 531-2846 Monday thru Friday 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.


If you need assistance with Citizens’ Online Police Reporting, please call (858) 523-7066.