Quality of Life and Nuisance Issues
- What can I do about my noisy neighbors?
- What can I do about barking dogs in my neighborhood?
- How can I report animals running loose in my neighborhood?
- What is the law regarding repetitive vehicle alarms?
- How can I report narcotics activity in my neighborhood?
- How can I report prostitution activity in my neighborhood?
While the noise is occurring, call the San Diego Police Department non-emergency number at (619) 531-2000 or contact the Noise Abatement Office at (619) 236-5500. If the noise has ceased by the time the officers arrive, then they cannot take enforcement action unless you are willing to sign a complaint. If you are experiencing an ongoing conflict with your neighbors, mediation is an alternative solution. In mediation, disputing parties meet with trained, impartial mediators to resolve their problems. Neighbors interested in mediation should contact the National Conflict Resolution Center at (619) 238-2400.
The San Diego Police Department does not respond to calls about barking dogs. Instead, complainants should contact City of San Diego Code Enforcement at (619) 236-5500. Also, complainants can try mediation through the National Conflict Resolution Center at (619) 238-2400.
Call the San Diego County Department of Animal Control 24-hour emergency number, (619) 236-2341, to report incidents involving animals that threaten public health and safety. For lost or found animals that do not pose an immediate threat, call 619-767-2675 during normal business hours.
Vehicle alarms are addressed in the City of San Diego Municipal Code, section 59.5.0503 (Burglar Alarms):
- Audible burglar alarms for structures or motor vehicles are prohibited unless the operation ofsuch burglar alarms can be terminated within 20 minutes of being activated.
- Notwithstanding the requirements of this provision, any member of the Police Department of the City of San Diego shall have the right to take such steps as may be reasonable and necessary to disconnect any such alarm installed in any building, dwelling, or motor vehicle at any time during the period of its activation.
You can report narcotics activity in your neighborhood using the on-line Citizen Request Form. The form asks for information about the location and nature of the activity, when it occurs, who is involved and whether you'd like to be contacted directly. Once submitted, the request will be addressed by the Narcotics Section of the department.
You can report prostitution activity in your neighborhood using the on-line Citizen Request Form. The form asks for information about the location and nature of the activity, when it occurs, who is involved and whether you'd like to be contacted directly. Once submitted, the request will be forwarded to the appropriate Division for follow up.