- Have the person driving you home wait until you are safely inside.
- Leave outside lights on if you’ll return after dark.
- Don’t overburden yourself with packages that obstruct your view and make it difficult to react in an emergency.
- Have your key in hand so you can open the door immediately.
- Don't go in or call out if you suspect someone has broken into your home, e.g., if a window or screen is broken, a door is ajar, or a strange vehicle is parked in the driveway. Go to a neighbor's home and call the police.
- Keep your headlights on until you are in your garage at night.
- Go to a neighbor's house and call 911 if someone is following you on foot or in a vehicle. Or use your cell phone to call, but don't go home while the threat exists.
- Be aware of any people around your home when you return. Go to a neighbor's house if you have any concerns about your safety when opening the garage or other door.
- Close the garage door before getting out of your vehicle.