Securing Your Property at a Hotel or Motel
- Use all available locks on the doors and windows.
- Make sure the door is securely locked when you leave your room.
- Unpack and place your belongings in the closet and dresser. Arrange things so you can easily tell if something is missing. Keep a list of all things you brought from home.
- Lock your suitcases so they cannot be used to carry things out. Consider hiding electric appliances and other valuable items in your suitcase.
- Don't leave cash, checks, credit cards, jewelry, vehicle keys, etc. in the room. Take them with you or lock them in the hotel or motel safe.
- Report any lost or stolen items to the hotel or motel management as well as to the police.