San Diego

Accessibility Tools


Do the following if you are threatened or are a victim of stalking.

  • Call the police on 911 if anyone maliciously, willfully, and repeatedly follows or harasses you, or makes a credible threat that places you in fear of your safety.  File a crime report and get a case number.  A detective will contact you about the case.
  • Get a TRO (Temporary Restraining Order) or have a police officer get an EPO (Emergency Protective Order) for you.  Have the stalker served with a copy of the order.  Keep a copy and give copies to your friends, relatives, co-workers, and employer.  If you live in an apartment building, also give a copy to the manager along with a picture of the offender.
  • Alert your friends, relatives, co-workers and employer about your case.  Have them file a police report if they are also victimized.
  • Keep a record of all stalking incidents.  Keep it in a secure place.
  • Report all stalking incidents to the detective in charge of your case.
  • Keep an emergency bag packed with clothes, money, emergency phone numbers, toys for your children, etc.
  • Show a picture of the stalker to your neighbors.
  • Alert your neighbors with a prearranged code or signal if the stalker is at or near your home.  
  • Move to a temporary safe house or shelter as a last resort.  Keep new location secret.  Get a U.S. Post Office or private mailbox for your mail.

In addition to the other personal security measures listed above:

  • Change your home locks.
  • Never walk alone.
  • Avoid public places.
  • Vary your schedule and route when you drive.  Know were nearby police and fire stations are located.
  • Install a locking gas-tank cap in your vehicle.
  • Be alert for vehicles following you.
You must have Javascript enabled to use this form.