The following technology software resources list is compiled to provide you with suggestions for web-based, downloadable, open source, freeware and low-cost software to use on your personal devices.
Open Source 3D Modeling Software
AutoDesk Fusion 360
- 3D CAD, CAM, and CAE tool. It connects your entire product development process in a single cloud-based platform that works on both Mac & PC.
- Home of the Blender project - Free and Open 3D Creation Software.
- Resources & tools to aid engineers in design process.
- CAD system. Eliminates design gridlock & helps engineers do their best work.
- Create solid 3D CAD objects. Available for Linux/UNIX, MS Windows/Mac OS X.
- Sculpting software program, focus on the concept of modeling clay.
- 3D modeling software that's easy to learn and incredibly fun to use.
- Download files and build them with your laser cutter, 3D printer, or CNC.
- 3D CAD design tool. Quickly turn ideas into a CAD model for a 3D printer.
3D Splicing Software for Printing
- Compatible with hundreds of 3D printers. See videos.
- Free software to prepare, manage, and share 3D prints.
Open Source Electronic Prototyping
- Enabling users to create interactive electronic object.
- An app that helps people learn how to code through a visual language. Optimized for coding games. The programming language centers around "blocks" that you drag and drop to build routines.
- A tiny and affordable computer. Learn programming.
- Create your own interactive stories, games, & animations.
- Responsive Web Design Tools and HTML Software.
Free Graphic Design Software
- A free and open-source raster graphics editor used for image retouching and editing, free-form drawing, converting between different image formats, and more specialized tasks.
- Professional quality vector graphics software (Linux, Mac OS X & Windows).
- Raster graphics editor, designed primarily for digital painting & animation.
Open Source Video Editors
- Professional offline and online editing, color correction, audio post production and now visual effects.
- Professional non-linear editing system for editing and mastering digital video in vari-ous formats, including 2K and 4K resolutions, and television in PAL, NTSC, and high-definition formats.
- Cross-platform video editor for Windows, Mac and Linux.
- Free online designer and editing tool catering to all your photographic and image creation needs! Add filters, frames, text, stickers and more.
- Free and open-source raster graphics editor used for image retouching and editing, free-form drawing, converting between different image formats, and more specialized tasks.
- A free robust browser photo editor. Have full control over your images, including layers and effects.
Free CNC Milling Software
- 3D Carving Made Easy. Design, import, and carve for free from a single program with Easel.
Project Ideas & Resources
- Learn how to make anything with Instructables. Easy to follow step-by-step instructions, online classes, and a vibrant maker community.
- Inventables: the hardware store for designers. We help designers buy the products they need.
- Celebrates your right to tweak, hack, and bend any technology to your will.