Located on the Third Floor of Central Library
|Monday||2 p.m. - 6 p.m.|
|Tuesday||2 p.m. - 6 p.m.|
|Wednesday||2 p.m. - 6 p.m.|
|Thursday||2 p.m. - 6 p.m.|
|Friday||2 p.m. - 6 p.m.|
|Saturday||2 p.m. - 6 p.m.|
- Patrons are expected to comply with all Library Rules of Conduct.
- Machines are available for use on a first come first served basis unless an appointment is made ahead of time.
- Patrons are responsible for bringing all their own materials with the exception of 3D printing filament and library workshops.
- Patrons must check in with staff before using any machine. Staff and volunteers are on hand to assist you with machine use.
- The library reserves the rights to close down the lab at anytime for programs or maintenance with little or no notice.
Using 3D Printers
- You can have one item printed per day up to 2 hours a day.
- For print jobs longer than 2 hours, appointment is required (minimum 1 week notice would be ideal)
- Patron must bring in .stl file format for objects to be printed.
- All files will be inspected and sliced by lab volunteer/staff prior to printing.
- Only Lab staff/volunteers can operate the 3D printers.
- Computers in lab are for scanning and slicing 3D objects only.
Cost of Printing & Information on Filament
- 3D printing & 3D scanning are free at Central Library at this time. However, we do require patrons stay in the Lab and monitor their prints.
Printers & Scanners
- Two Makerbot Replicator2
- One ROBO3D R1
- One ROBO R2
- One ROBO C2
- One Makerbot Digitizer
- One Microsoft Kinect with Skanect software
- Two FlashForge Creator Pro (dual extruder)
Resources & Support
- The library provides access to the Sketch pens, ratchet blade, and fabric blade.
- Silhouette Cameos will accept files: .studio3, .dxf, .jpg, .pdf, .gif, and .gsp.
- Materials can be up to 12" wide. Length is limited to 12" for paper and can be longer for certain materials.
- To use the Silhouette, users must have files imported into Silhouette Studio to communicate with the machine.
Resources & Support
Classes & Workshops:
- Please check our events calendar at sdplcalendar.org for more information.
Silhouette Cameo Uses:
- Silhouette Cameos can cut and draw on different types of materials.
- Card making or scrapbooking
- Make custom vinyl decals
- Make stencils for glass etching or screen printing
- Cut fabric for custom textile projects
- And more!
Using the Sewing Machines
- Patrons must be trained to operate the machine prior to using the machine
- Import Designs Directly from your Computer
- 70 built-in embroidery designs, 5 embroidery fonts and 120 frame pattern combinations
- 67 built-in sewing stitches with 98 stitch functions
- Large 4” x 4” embroidery area
- 130 built-in stitches, including 8 one-step auto-size buttonhole styles
- 1 built-in monogramming sewing font, perfect for basic monogramming
- 170 stitch functions for garment construction, quilting, decorative and heirloom sewing
- LCD display with easy-to-use stitch selector
- 60 built-in stitches including and 7 styles of 1-step auto-size buttonholes
- Automatic needle threader
- Electronic variable speed control
- Two needles and 3-4 thread
- Versatile stitch options allow you to choose from 4 thread overlock, 3 thread overlock, narrow hem, rolled hem, and ribbon lock stitches.
- Fast, up to 1300 stitches per minute
- The stitch width can be easily adjusted between 3.00mm to 7.00mm, helping to provide the perfect stitch width for your project
Resources & Support
Using the Carvey Milling Machine
- The Maker Lab currently has a Carvey CNC Milling Machine by Inventables.
- Library provides access to some drill bits, however, it's recommended that you bring your own bit if you have a specialized project.
- Files must be .svg.
- To use the Carvey, users must have files imported into Easel to communicate with the machine.
Things you can make/cut with the Carvey:
- PCB Circuit boards
- Wooden toys/signs/etc.
- ABS Plastic
- Machine Wax
- and more!
Open Source 3D Modeling Software
3D Splicing Software for Printing
Open Source Electronic Prototyping
Free Graphic Design Software
Open Source Video Editors
Free CNC Milling Software
Project Ideas & Resources
To make an appointment:
- Stop by our lab to get estimate on how long it'll take to print your object.
- Contact us to make an appointment at: [email protected]