Digital Memory Lab
- Age Policy - The Digital Memory Lab is designated for use by people ages 13 and older. Chidren ages 12 and under must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian at all times. Parental consent is required for ages 17 and younger.
- Release Form - A release form is required to use the Digital Memory Lab. Download and sign your Release Form before coming to your session or fill one out at the lab.
- Food and Beverages - Food and drink are not allowed in the Lab. Food and drink can damage our media equipment as well as attract pests that can damage materials.
- Saving Your Files - Please save your project files on your own external drive or cloud storage accounts. All Digital Memory Lab computers are reset nightly so files cannot be stored on the lab machines without risk of losing data.
- Storage of Personal Items - Hard drives or other personal items needed for saving or transferring files cannot be stored at the Digital Memory Lab. Materials brought to the lab for scanning or analysis must remain with you at all times.
- Reserving the Lab - The Digital Memory Lab is open for appointments. Check reservation section below for more details. Only one session per user per day.
Book a Reservation
The San Diego Public Library offers the Digital Memory Lab at two locations: Central Library and La Jolla/Riford Library. The two labs have different hours and accept different formats for transfer. Select the appropriate location tab below to review formats accepted for transfer and to book a reservation.
Central Library Digital Memory Lab - 8th Floor, Room 835
For December the Digital Memory Lab at the Central Library will have open house Monday - Saturday from 2-4 p.m. where you can bring in your treasured memories in analog formats and get recommendations on how to digitize and care for your materials. Then book a reservation to digitize your materials.
|Monday||2 p.m. - 6 p.m.|
|Tuesday||2 p.m. - 6 p.m.|
|Wednesday||2 p.m. - 6 p.m.|
|Thursday||2 p.m. - 6 p.m.|
|Friday||2 p.m. - 6 p.m.|
|Saturday||2 p.m. - 6 p.m.|
La Jolla/Riford Library Digital Memory Lab
|Monday||2:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.|
|Tuesday||11:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.|
|Wednesday||12:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.|
|Thursday||3:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.|
|Saturday||12:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.|
|Sunday||1 p.m. - 4 p.m.|
Frequently Asked Questions
The Digital Memory Lab is an innovative space to access, digitize, and share videos, audio recordings, photographs, and slides.
No, you do not need a library card to use the Digital Memory Lab; however, you will check-in with a staff member, review policy and sign a release form. If you are under 17, parental consent is required.
See "Book a Reservation" section above for the location of your choice. Please note that the use of the Digital Memory Lab is by reservation.
All stations will have easy to follow step-by-step instructional guides. Knowledgeable library staff and volunteers will also be available for additional assistance. Attending a Digital Memory Lab Drop-in session is strongly encouraged for first-time visitors. Information on upcoming drop-ins can be found in the Library's online calendar.
Bring a USB or external hard drive to save your content, or save it on cloud storage.
For transferring video formats, at least 4GB for every 1 hour of video is recommended.
Classes will be posted on the Library’s calendar of events.