The Public Works Department's goal is to provide engineering services including technical and operational support, design, and construction for the Capital Improvements Program (CIP), and oversight of the development of public infrastructure and facilities in an expeditious, cost-effective manner while maintaining the highest degree of quality.
Branches and Divisions
The Public Works Department is comprised of three branches that contain 11 divisions.
- Engineering Branch (formerly Engineering & Capital Projects Department)
- Contracts Division Branch
The Public Works Department provides a full range of engineering services that support the City's CIP, including:
- Rehabilitating, restoring, improving, and adding to the City's capital facilities;
- Project and construction management of public improvement projects through the planning, design, and construction phase;
- Quality control and inspection of private work permitted in the right-of-way;
- Surveying and materials testing;
- Site grading and subdivision improvements;
- Infrastructure asset management;
- CIP prioritization;
- Engineer functions for all City departments; and
- Procurement and management of CIP construction and associated professional consulting services contracts.
Additionally, it provides a full range of general services to all City departments, including facilities repair and publishing services.
Types of Projects
The Department works on a wide range of projects. Among those are:
- Fire, lifeguard and police stations
- Parks and recreation centers
- Lighting and traffic signals
- Street improvements
- Bikeways and other transportation projects
- Storm drainage and flood control facilities
- Water and sewer pipelines
- Water and wastewater treatment plants and pump stations
- Utilities undergrounding projects