Grass Replacement Rebates
Update: Funding for the Grass Replacement and Micro-Irrigation rebate programs have been exhausted, and applications are no longer being accepted. However, as part of the Sustainable Landscapes Program, City of San Diego customers are able to participate in a turf removal incentive program. For more information visit: http://sustainablelandscapessd.org/incentives/.
DO NOT remove your turf grass before you are officially approved by the program!
Grass Replacement With 25% or More Living Landscape
City of San Diego customers with qualifying grass areas can receive rebates of up to $1.50 per square foot when replacing the grass in their front, side or backyards with a minimum of 25% living plant material. Qualifying plants must be very low to moderate in water use, non-invasive and cover at least 25% of the total project area when fully grown. The remaining 75% of the project area must consist of pervious surface that helps reduce stormwater runoff.
Grass Replacement with Less than 25% Living Landscape
Customers with qualifying grass can receive rebates up to $1.00 per square foot when replacing grass in their front, side or backyards with less than 25% living landscape (at full maturity) with the remaining area consisting of pervious surface that helps reduce stormwater runoff.
How Much Of A Rebate Can I Get and How Much Grass Can I Replace?
|Grass Replacement Project Area Plant Coverage||Rebate Per Square Foot||Maximum Rebate Amount||Minimum Square Feet||Maximum Square Feet|
|A minimum of 25% of the plant coverage in the project area||$1.50||$3,600||400*||2,400|
|Less than 25% of plant coverage in the project area||$1.00||$2,400||400*||2,400|
|A minimum of 25% of the plant coverage in the project area||$1.50||$15,000||1,000*||10,000|
|Less than 25% of plant coverage in the project area||$1.00||$10,000||1,000*||10,000|
*Minimum of 400 square feet can be waived if replacing 100% of grass in front yard.
For Residential Customers
For Commercial Customers
What Does Not Qualify for the City's Grass Replacement Rebate?
- Projects that have been started or completed before a pre-site inspection has been conducted by the City
- Installation of vegetable gardens where grass once was
- Lighting, fences, tools, retaining walls, taxes, fees and tariffs
- Water features and fountains
- Properties that use recycled water for irrigation
- High water-use and invasive plants
- Parkways (sidewalk strips)
Additional Incentive Opportunities
If you live in the County (are not a City of San Diego customer) you should check with your own water agency's website for any information that may be available regarding rebates.
Report water waste by calling (619) 533-5271 or email [email protected].
General Water Conservation Information: (619) 533-7485