Commercial-Multifamily Sustainable Landscape-Turf Replacement Rebate
Reduce outdoor water use, keep landscape more attractive and healthy and save money on the water bill by replacing thirsty turfgrass with a sustainable and water wise ornamental landscape. City of San Diego Public Utilities Department commercial and multifamily (greater than four units) customers can receive a rebate for replacing turfgrass with water wise landscape. Funding for a limited number of rebates is available through a State of California grant and the City's Storm Water Department, and will be distributed on a first come, first served basis. Read through the guidelines prior to filling out an application .
- Read through the program guidelines and submit an application .
- Have a pre-site inspection and get approval to begin project.
- Submit design plans.
- Complete the project and schedule a post-installation visit.
- Receive a rebate.
Get $1.50 per square foot (up to 6,000 SF and $9,000 per customer) for replacing living turfgrass with sustainable and water wise landscaping. See guidelines for program requirements.
What does not qualify for a rebate?
- High water using plants (as classified by WUCOLs)
- Artificial turf
- Vegetable gardens
- Exposed soil surfaces (exceptions made to accommodate specific garden designs)
- Impermeable surfaces such as bricks and flagstone mortared into place, or concrete
- Dead lawn prior to applying for rebate
- Planting of invasive species that have potential to spread aggressively
How much water does a sustainable landscape save?
Typically, cool season turfgrass uses between 14 and 40 gallons of water per square foot annually, depending on site conditions. Once established, low to moderate water using plants can require less than half of the water required by cool season turfgrass.
Costs that are covered by the sustainable landscape rebate.
The rebate is $1.50/SF of turfgrass that is replaced with ornamental water wise landscape--up to a maximum of 6,000 SF and $9,000 per customer. Submittal of design and irrigation plans are required.
Important: Read the GUIDELINES and APPLICATION PDFs for detailed information about the Sustainable Landscape-Turf Replacement rebate application process.
** This program is made possible by a grant from the California Department of Water Resources.
- Commercial-Multifamily Sustainable Landscape-Turf Replacement Guidelines
- Commercial-Multifamily Outdoor Water Conservation Rebate Application Form
- Sustainable Landscape Turf Replacement Resource List
- Nifty 50 Plants for Water Smart Landscapes Brochure
- Arboretum All-Stars