San Diego

Accessibility Tools


Fisherman with bassFishing is allowed at all City reservoirs during regular operation hours. Anglers 16 years of age or older must have a California state fishing license.

For days and operating hours, please see the "What's New" section.
For information about fishing at specific reservoirs, please see the individual reservoirs web pages.

Check for costs related to Permits and Fees.

Fish catch information is updated weekly. Information is available regarding fishing with Float Tubes and Waders.



Bowfishing is permitted only at El Capitan, Hodges, Otay, San Vicente and Sutherland reservoirs on days they are open for fishing. Bowfishing is restricted to fishing for carp only, in compliance with California Department of Fish and Wildlife regulations. The following special conditions apply:

  • Bowfishing tackle must have arrow shaft, point or both, securely attached by a line to the bow or a fishing reel; this includes crossbows.
  • Bowfishing is permitted only by vessel on surface water of approved reservoirs.
  • Bowfishing is prohibited within 30 meters (100 feet) of any person outside the vessel of the bowhunter.
  • Bowfishing is prohibited in areas of nesting water birds.
  • Children under 18 years of age must be accompanied by an adult to bowfish.
  • All carp taken by bow must be removed from the reservoir property. Disposal of carp into the reservoir, upon the shoreline or in trash cans is prohibited.
  • Bowhunters must possess proper daily permits, including a valid California Fish and Wildlife fishing license

Any individual out of compliance with these rules and regulations, or exhibiting any unsafe use of bowfishing equipment, is subject to revocation of the permit and ejection from the reservoir.

For your convenience, a recorded message detailing current activities, schedules, fishing and hunting results is available at all times by calling 619-465-FISH (619-465-3474).

For additional information, call the recording at 619-465-3474, contact the City of San Diego Public Utilities Department's Reservoirs and Recreation Program office at 619-668-2050, or email [email protected]


You must have Javascript enabled to use this form.