Proposed Zero Waste Plan Meetings
The City of San Diego's Environmental Services Department is looking for public input on the City's proposed Zero Waste Plan. View the links below to participate and for more information on meeting dates and times:
- Zero Waste Stakeholders Meetings
- Zero Waste Stakeholders Meeting Presentation - Session One
- Zero Waste Stakeholders Meeting Presentation - Session Two
- Zero Waste Stakeholders Meeting Presentation - Session Three
- Zero Waste Stakeholders Meeting Presentation - Session Four
Bring Your Own Bag San Diego Kicks Off the New Year
Visit the BYOB SD Website for more information.
New! Dare to Reuse 2015 Paperless Calendar
Instructions for Using Fillable Paperless Recycling Calendar:
Download the calendar and save to your desktop. Type appointments or other information into the individual days, or notes forms.
*Do not close if using Acrobat Reader or changes will be lost, just minimize the screen or print by month as you update.
If using Acrobat Professional, changes can be saved upon closing.
New Mandatory Recycling Requirements Took Effect July 1, 2012
State Law now requires apartment and condo complexes with five or more units to recycle.
The City Recycling Ordinance also requires recycling at all single-family homes; all apartments and condominiums serviced by the City; and all privately serviced businesses, commercial/institutional facilities, apartments, and condominiums generating four or more cubic yards of trash per week.
View the New Mandatory Recycling Requirements
Report Properties without Recycling
Waste Characterization Study
A waste characterization (or waste composition) study is a scientific tool used by jurisdictions to assess the amount and types of waste being disposed in landfills for the purposes of evaluating and expanding recycling and diversion programs. The Environmental Services Department (ESD) is responsible for implementing the City's waste reduction, recycling, and diversion programs. The passing of Assembly Bill (AB) 939 (1989) required all jurisdictions in California to divert 50% of their waste by the year 2000.
San Diego's last full waste characterization study was conducted in 1999. San Diego reached a 52% diversion rate in 2004 and has steadily increased diversion to 68% in 2012. This added diversion is predominately due to two City-wide recycling ordinances. The City Recycling Ordinance (CRO) requires all commercial properties and multi-family residences to recycle unless they fall below a specified service level thereby making them exempt. The Construction and Demolition (C&D) Debris Deposit Ordinance requires certain permitted demolition, new construction and remodeling projects to divert 50% of the waste produced during the project. Additionally, there is a surcharge on all C&D loads disposed at Miramar Landfill.
The results and links below are from the recently completed (2012-2013) waste characterization study. The City conducted this study to evaluate the types and amounts of waste still being disposed, and will use this data to enhance and develop recycling program activities and policies.
The most recent disposal data available is from 2012, and shows that San Diego disposed nearly 1.3 million tons of waste. This included waste from our homes, business, schools, manufacturing, and military bases. We hope that you find this information helpful and if you have any questions, please contact ESD at 858-694-7000.
- Summary of Study and Material Definitions
- Overall City Waste Composition
- Overall Residential Waste Composition
- Overall Commercial Waste Composition
- Overall Military Waste Composition
- Summary of Methodology
New: Compost Bin Voucher Program
The City of San Diego has partnered with Dixieline ProBuild to offer compost bins at a discounted rate for City of San Diego residents! For more information, visit our Backyard Composting page.
Having a Special Event?
- Recycling Ordinance for Special Events
- Signage for Special Events Recycling
- Additional Signage for Special Events Recycling Containers - Recycling/Compost/Trash
- Recycling Collection Services for Special Events
- Recycling Ordinance Compliance Video for Special Events (MP4)
Links and Resources
- CalRecycle (formerly California Integrated Waste Management Board)
- CalRecycle (formerly Dept. of Conservation) Beverage Container Recycling Homepage
- CalRecycle Green Gift Guide and RecycleStore
- California Resource Recovery Association (CRRA)
- Californians Against Waste
- U. S. Environmental Protection Agency Educational Resources
- Compost Bin Voucher Application (Electronic Form), (Printable Voucher)
- Curbside Recycling Flyer
- City of San Diego Recycling Ordinance Brochure
- City of San Diego Recycling Guide
- What to do with Appliances, E-Waste and Universal Waste
- Recycling Tips FAQs
- C&D Certified Recycling Facility Directory
- Certified Mixed C&D Processing Facilities Historical Diversion Rates
- Backyard Composting Guide
- Curbsider, ESD's recycling newsletter
- Curbside Yard Waste Recycling Program Brochure
- Recycling Collection Services for Special Events
- Overall Composition of Disposed San Diego Waste
- Programa de Reciclaje Domestico de Desechos de Jardín
- Greenery (Compost/Mulch/Wood Chips) Guide
- Recycling Collection Services for Businesses & Multi-family Complexes
- No Scavenging Flyer