Christmas Tree Recycling
Each year, the City of San Diego Environmental Services Department hosts its Annual Christmas Tree Recycling Program beginning the day after Christmas, Dec. 26 until Jan. 23. The program features 16 drop-off locations available to City residents only.
Where can I recycle a Christmas tree?
- The Miramar Greenery accepts trees throughout the year.
- I Love a Clean San Diego and the County of San Diego have a website at www.WasteFreeSD.org to help County residents find the nearest tree recycling dropoff site in San Diego County. Click here for a list of County dropoff sites.
- Curbside collection (For residents with yard waste collection only)
- Manual container customers using their own bins should place trees on the curb for collection on your regular greenery recycling pickup day. Trees over four feet in length should be cut in half.
- Automated container customers using the large, green 96-gallon bin provided by the city should cut their trees to fit into the automated container for pickup on collection day.
- Carmel Valley - Carmel Valley Recreation Center, 3777 Townsgate Drive, lower parking lot
- Encanto - Cielo Drive at Woodman Street
- Golden Hill - Golden Hill Recreation Center, 2600 Golf Course Drive
- La Jolla - Kate Sessions Memorial Park, Soledad Road and Loring Street
- Logan Heights - Memorial Recreation Center, 2902 Marcy Avenue
- Miramar - The Greenery at the Miramar Landfill, Convoy Street north of Highway 52
- Mission Bay - Sea World Drive at Pacific Highway
- Oak Park - Chollas Lake, 6350 College Grove Drive, in Gloria's Mesa parking lot
- Ocean Beach - Robb Athletic Field Recreation Center, 2525 Bacon Street
- Otay Mesa/Nestor - Montgomery Waller Community Park (lower-west parking lot)
- Rancho Bernardo - Rancho Bernardo Recreation Center, 18448 W. Bernardo Drive
- Rancho Penasquitos - Canyonside Recreation Center, 12350 Black Mountain Road
- San Diego State University - Parking Lot 17C off Alvarado Road
- Scripps Ranch - Scripps Ranch Recreation Center, 11454 Blue Cypress Drive
- Tierrasanta - De Portola Middle School, 11010 Clairemont Mesa Boulevard
- University City - Swanson Pool, 3585 Governor Drive
What kinds of trees are accepted for recycling?
Both green and flocked trees (fake snow) are accepted. For Greenery, curbside, and drop-off sites, all tree stands, lights, ornaments, tinsel, and other tree decorations must be removed. No artificial trees. Please do not illegally dump any other items at the drop-off locations.
Christmas tree recycling fliers