About the Library
Helping communities flourish.
To inspire lifelong learning through connections to knowledge and each other.
We've Turned the Page to Our Next Chapter
The San Diego Public Library (SDPL) is at a pivotal point in its history. We have opened a new state-of-the-art Central Library. We are also facing the rapid pace of technological change and continuing to meet increased hours (PDF), in effect as of November 8, 2014. SDPL is committed to our mission and our course for the future.
- Our Brand, Our Story (PDF)
- Who We Are (PDF)
- New Central Library Innovative Technology (PDF)
- New Library Look and Logo Press Release (PDF)
- SDSU Art Students Help Library Write Next Chapter
The San Diego Public Library is a popular destination that connects this diverse community to free educational and cultural resources that enrich the lives of visitors and residents alike. With 5.6 million visitors, the library exceeds the attendance at San Diego Padres and Chargers home games combined!
See Goals and Objectives (PDF) of the Library.
- Population Served: More than 1.3 million residents, encompasses an area of 342 square miles.
- More than 3.8 million books, including e-books and audio-visual materials
- 3,313 periodical subscriptions
- 1.6 million government documents
- More than 270,512 books in 25 languages other than English
A Snapshot of Services (PDF) - October 2010: The San Diego Public Library makes free access to reliable information and learning our mission each day. On just one day, 25,887 people visited their San Diego Public Library and 28,481 items were checked out or renewed.
Map of Libraries by Council District (PDF) - Shows council districts, 2010 population estimates by library service area, and Census tracts. (Source: SANDAG)