Multiple Species Conservation Program (MSCP)
The Multiple Species Conservation Program (MSCP) was developed to preserve a network of habitat and open space, protecting bio-diversity and enhancing the region's quality of life. The City of San Diego is one of several jurisdictions participating in the MSCP. The MSCP covers 85 species and the core biological resource areas are identified within the City's Multi-Habitat Planning Areas. The City has entered into an Implementing Agreement with the federal and state Wildlife Agencies to ensure implementation of the MSCP.
Vernal Pool Habitat Conservation Plan
MSCP is in the process of creating a Vernal Pool Habitat Conservation Plan (HCP). The plan is envisioned as a comprehensive planning approach to preserve vernal pool species and their habitat within the City’s jurisdiction. The HCP will create a new preserve boundary and updated conditions of coverage for San Diego and Riverside fairy shrimp, San Diego button celery, spreading navarretia, California orcutt grass, San Diego mesa mint and Otay mesa mint. Funding for the project has been provided through a grant by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service administered through the California Department of Fish and Game. The San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG) Service Bureau is providing consulting expertise in the creation of the document.
Vernal Pool HCP Public Workshop
The Vernal Pool HCP Public Workshop is an opportunity for the public to inform the HCP planning process as well as provide important input on locations and quality of vernal pool resources.
Vernal Pool Preserve Workshop 8/30/2012
- Workshop Summary and Public Comments 8/30/12 (PDF)
- Workshop PowerPoint Presentation 8/30/12 (PDF)
- Invitation Flyer (PDF) 08/30/12
- Workshop Location Map (PDF) 08/30/12
- Introduction (PDF) 08/30/12
- TWP 1: Focal Species Status Update for the City of San Diego Vernal Pool HCP (PDF) 08/30/12
- TWP 2: Assessment of Focal Species Conservation for the City of San Diego Vernal Pool HCP (PDF) 08/30/12
- TWP 3 & 4: Adaptive Management and Monitoring Strategy for the City of San Diego Vernal Pool HCP (PDF) 08/30/12
- TWP 5: Cost Evaluation for the City of San Diego Vernal Pool HCP Monitoring and Management Program (PDF) 08/30/12
- TWP 6: Conditions of Coverage for the City of San Diego Vernal Pool HCP (PDF) 08/30/12
Vernal Pool Preserve Workshop 3/15/2012
- Invitation Flyer (PDF) 03/15/2012
- Workshop Summary and Public Comments (PDF) 3/15/2012
- Outline of Vernal Pool HCP Technical White Papers and Independent Expert Reviewers (PDF)
- Vernal Pool Preserve Workshop Maps 3/15/2012
Vernal Pools Meeting 12/12/2011
- Vernal Pools Scoping Meeting Maps 12/12/2011
Vernal Pool Preserve Workshop 1/14/2011
- Workshop PowerPoint Presentation (PDF) 1/14/2011
- Workshop Summary and Public Comments (PDF) 1/14/2011
- Vernal Pool Preserve Workshop Maps 1/14/2011
To provide comments for consideration on any of the draft documents please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
City of San Diego 2012 MSCP Annual Report
- Final 2012 MSCP Annual Report - Cover Letter, Habitat Conservation Accounting Model & Impact Totals 2012 (PDF)
- 2012 City of San Diego MSCP Management Actions Report (PDF)
- 2012 Canyon Sewer Cleaning Program and Long Term Maintenance Program Progress Report (PDF)
- 2012 Public Projects Impact and Mitigation Accounting Sheets (PDF)
2012 MSCP Annual Workshop
2012 marked the Multiple Species Conservation Program’s (MSCP) 15th year anniversary. You’re invited to learn all about regional habitat conservation accomplishments and goals at the MSCP Annual Report Workshop where you will hear about MSCP projects completed in 2012. The morning workshop, presented by local jurisdictions and state and federal agencies, is an opportunity for the public to learn more about San Diego County’s unique habitats and the role of the MSCP in preserving open space and biological diversity. The Workshop will also include a community fair/poster session and a ranger-led hike through Florida Canyon where on-going restoration efforts are being conducted. A flyer and agenda for the Workshop are attached.
When: Tuesday, July 16, 2013
Time: 9 a.m. to noon
Where: The War Memorial Building, 2125 Park Blvd, San Diego, CA 92101
Directions & Parking: The War Memorial Building is located at the north end of Balboa Park at Park Boulevard and Zoo Drive, across from Roosevelt Middle School. Take Hwy 163 South to Park Blvd Exit. Turn left at Park Blvd the continue to the San Diego Zoo. Street parking available on Zoo Drive, Park Blvd., or in the north end of the Zoo’s parking lot.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Helping Protect San Diego's Natural Resources
You've come to the right place to learn how MSCP is preserving a network of open space, protecting bio-diversity and enhancing the region's quality of life. More information about MSCP
The MSCP Plan is the planning frame for the Multiple Species Conservation Program. This plan guides the preparation of individual
sub-area plans for each jurisdiction within the MSCP planning area.
View the Final MSCP Plan (PDF: 88M, County of San Diego)
View the City MSCP Subarea Plan
Jeanne Krosch, Senior Planner
City Planning & Community Investment