30th Street Pipeline Replacement Project
The City of San Diego has more than 3,250 miles of water pipelines that provide safe, healthful drinking water to the 1.4 million residents within its service area. Some pipelines are more than 100 years old, are deteriorating, and are in need of replacement, repair and upgrades. To avoid future service disruptions, such as water main breaks, the aging pipelines are being replaced or rehabilitated. The new pipelines will bring the existing water pipes or mains up to modern standards, accommodate community growth and reduce maintenance requirements.
The 30th Street Pipeline Replacement Project will replace approximately 5.7 miles of water distribution mains within the North Park, Golden Hill, and Southeastern communities.
Project alignment is from 30th Street starting at Polk Avenue moving south to Juniper Street.The project then shifts at the intersection of Juniper Street and 30th Street on to Fern Street until A Street. At A Street, the project shifts back on to 30th Street and continues south to Commercial Street.
The 30th Street Pipeline Replacement Project will:
- Contribute towards the City of San Diego’s ongoing 20-mile/year program to replace all aging and deteriorating cast iron water mains currently in service.
- Prevent future service disruptions and water main breaks.
- Increase pedestrian access by installing curb ramps at several intersections throughout the project area.
- Provide a more reliable water supply and operational flexibility
- Bring the existing water mains up to current City of San Diego standards.
The overall project is within one of the most densely populated areas of the City of San Diego. The area includes: residential neighborhoods; business districts; light industrial businesses; and major arterial corridors that connect neighborhoods; as well as local streets and bicycle and pedestrian corridors. Visit the Capital Improvements Project Map View to look at the project alignment.
All efforts will be taken to minimize impacts to the residents and businesses in the community. The impacts may change as construction progresses. To help keep the community informed about the anticipated construction activities and impacts for both projects, updates will be emailed to subscribers as significant events occur.
To receive the email updates, submit your email address in the "Join our Email List" box on the right side of this page, and select the "Project Updates: 30th Street Pipeline Replacement Project" email self-subscribe list. Email updates will be archived and available to view on the email archive page.
- Completion of Project Design: July 2017*
- Construction: April 2018 – July 2020*
The project's planning, design, and construction budget is $28.7 million.*
* The construction schedule and project budget are approximate and subject to change.
For questions or concerns about the project, call the Public Works Department construction project information line at (619) 533-4207, email [email protected], or submit your inquiry online. Please reference the "30th Street Pipeline Replacement Project" in your inquiry.