Renewals and Holds
Most library materials* can be renewed up to five  times.
- Renewing online: You can renew materials by logging into your online account.
- Renewing over telephone: Please call the Library branch near you to renew by telephone (library card number required).
- Renewing in person: Materials can be renewed by presenting a valid library card in person at any City of San Diego Public Library location during regular hours of operation.
- Automatic renewals: Items will be automatically renewed on their due date if they are eligible for renewal. Items with active holds, already renewed five  times, or belonging to the categories listed below are not eligible for renewal. Please verify your due dates by logging into the online catalog or the classic catalog.
*The following items cannot be renewed: items with outstanding holds, Express books, eReader devices, interlibrary loan materials, laptop computers, museum passes and story kits.
Most circulating library materials* can be placed on hold through the Library catalog. If you provided an email address on your library account, you will be notified via email when your hold is available for pick up.
- Placing a hold online: Locate the title in the Library Catalog. Click on the green "Place Hold" button and follow the instructions on the screen.
- There is no fee to place a hold.
- Holds are valid for 270 days.
- Patrons with permanent library cards may place up to 25 holds on titles in the physical collection and up to 5 holds on titles in the eCollection. Patrons with temporary accounts are limited to two holds.
- Holds will be held for 13 days from the date notification was sent to you that your items are ready for pick-up.
- Placing holds over telephone: To have an available item held for you or sent to another San Diego Public Library location, call the Library branch which has the title.
*No holds can be placed on the following library materials: reference titles, magazines, Express books or electronic items.
For other questions or concerns, call (619) 236-5800 or email [email protected]