Before you begin the process for Police Officer, carefully review the hiring process.
U.S. citizenship or permanent resident who is eligible and has applied for U.S. citizenship prior to the application for employment.
20 years of age on the day you take the Written Test; 21 at time of Academy graduation (No maximum age limit).
- Graduation from a high school located within the United States or a U.S. territory;
- OR passage of the California High School Proficiency Examination OR G.E.D. with scores that meet the California standard established by the American Council on Education;
- OR possession of a two- or four-year degree from an accredited college or university. (Accreditation must be from an institutional accrediting body that has been recognized by the Council on Post-secondary Accreditation.)
Candidates screened by the Police Department must present proof of education when they submit their "Personal History Statement" (Word PDF).
A valid California Class C Driver's License, which permits you to drive an automobile, will be required at the time of hire.
Since Police Officers routinely use laptop computers, candidates must demonstrate typing ability. An ORIGINAL typing certificate indicating the ability to type at a corrected speed of 30 words per minute on a typewriter or computer keyboard must be submitted during the Police Department's Background Investigation Process. The certificate must be issued under International Typing Contest Rules and specify the net and gross speed, the number of errors and that the test was five minutes or longer. Certificates specifying more than five errors will not be accepted. Individuals who are serving or have served in City of San Diego job classifications that meet or exceed the minimum typing requirements need not submit a typing certificate. Internet typing tests will not be accepted.
Typing tests are given at, but you are not limited to, the following locations: (Call individual centers for further information.)
- Centre City / Skills Center: 619-388-4600
- Mid-City Center: 619-388-4500
- Cesar Chavez Center: 619-230-2895
- North City Center: 619-388-1800
- Educational Cultural Complex: 619-388-4956
- The West City Center: 619-221-6973
- Palomar College: 760-744-1150 ext. 2497 (San Marcos Campus) or ext. 8193 (Escondido Campus)
If you have additional questions about San Diego Police Department Recruiting, see the Frequently Asked Questions, call 619-531-COPS (2677) or email [email protected].
If you have an emergency, dial 9-1-1.
To access 9-1-1 from a cell phone or outside San Diego, dial 619-531-2065.
For 24-hour non-emergencies, dial 619-531-2000 or 858-484-3154.