The City of San Diego is modifying the roadway segment of University Avenue between Florida Street and Boundary Street/I-805 to improve safety and mobility along the University Avenue corridor for pedestrians, bicyclists, transit and automobile traffic.
The University Avenue Mobility Project (UAMP) will construct multi-modal improvements along University Avenue, between Florida Street and Boundary Street, within the North Park community. UAMP improvements include:
- Roadway Improvements, such as traffic signals, raised medians, turn pockets and re-striping.
- Transit Improvements, such as transit-only lanes and consolidating transit stops.
- Pedestrian Improvements, such as enhanced pedestrian crossings and curb ramps.
The overall project is within one of the most densely populated areas in San Diego. The area includes residential neighborhoods, business districts and major arterial corridors that connect neighborhoods; as well as local streets and bicycle and pedestrian corridors.
Email Updates and Contact Information
All efforts will be taken to minimize impacts to the residents and businesses in the community. The impacts may change as construction progresses. To help keep the community informed about the anticipated construction activities and impacts for both projects, updates will be emailed to subscribers as significant events occur.
To receive the email updates, submit your email address in the "Join our email list" box on the right side of this page, and select the "Project Updates: University Avenue Mobility Project" email self-subscribe list. Email updates will be archived and available to view on the email archive page.
Schedule and Budget
The project's schedule and budget information are available here.
As of Sept. 9, 2022, construction work continues to take place on University Avenue between Florida Street and Boundary Street. The project is anticipated to be completed in early 2023.
The remaining work to be completed is as follows:
- Conduit installation on University Avenue and the completion of the North Park Way work.
- Installation of electrical gear and standing signal poles on University Avenue and North Park Way.
- Installation of remaining curb ramps to facilitate access for people with disabilities.
- Replacement of signs.
- Asphalt overlay and stripe streets.
- Energize signals.