Skip to main content

Office of the City Attorney

General Crime Victim Resources



The Office of the City Attorney is committed to assisting victims of crime in accordance with California law. 


I have been the victim of a crime, now what?

Once the Office of the City Attorney receives a police report regarding the crime, a letter is sent to the victim advising that the report is received and asking for information regarding restitution expenses incurred as a result of the crime. Please fill out the questionnaire completely, and return promptly to expedite the process of obtaining restitution repayment.
(Please keep us informed if your contact information changes.)

I suffered monetary damages. How long will it take to get restitution?

Every case is different. Many factors determine the timing, such as the type of case and when the court ordered restitution.

The defendant was ordered to pay me but has not made payments or has stopped making payments. What can I do? 

You may contact the Office of the City Attorney Victim Services at 619-533-4500 or Court Collections at 619-450-7034 and request the case be placed on calendar for a probation revocation hearing and CR110 filing.

What if the case is dismissed or charges were not filed?

You may seek a civil remedy through small claims court or by speaking with an attorney in private practice. A small claims court advisor can be contacted at 858-634-1777. You may also contact the California Victim Compensation Board (CalVCB) to help pay expenses resulting from certain violent crimes at 1-800-777-9229.

How do I obtain a copy of the police report?

You may obtain a copy of the police report by contacting the law enforcement agency directly. For SDPD, see

I need a restraining order. Where do I start?

Under California law (Code of Civil Procedure §527.6), a person who has suffered harassment may seek a temporary restraining order and an injunction prohibiting harassment.
Civil Harassment Restraining Orders differ from Family Law Domestic Violence Restraining Orders in that the person doing the harassing has no close family or domestic relationship with the victim. Additional information can be found by visiting Superior Court of California at,1554986&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

Does a restitution order ever expire?

No, but there are limitations on how a restitution order can be enforced.

What types of losses are covered by a restitution order?

Monetary loss and damaged property may be included. Pain, suffering and punitive damages are not.

Do I need to appear in court?

Victims should plan to testify at trial and at a restitution hearing if restitution is requested. However, in some cases, a completed questionnaire and supporting documentation may be sufficient.

What is Court Collections' role?

Court Collections receives payment from defendants and disperses it to victims. They are the first point of contact if payments are not being made, or 619-450-7034.

How do I find out if defendant is being charged with a crime?

Please contact Office of the City Attorney Victim Services at 619-533-4500 or

How do I find out the status of my case?

Please view our Case Information Lookup page, or contact Office of the City Attorney Victim Services at 619-533-4500 or



How can I report a hate crime?

The City Attorney’s Office considers hate crimes to be very serious. We are committed to cracking down and prosecuting misdemeanor hate crimes that occur. The City Attorney’s Office encourages victims and witnesses to report hate crimes. If it is a crime in progress, and medical assistance is needed, or there is serious personal injury or property damage, you should call 9-1-1. If it is not an emergency, you should report the hate crime by calling San Diego Police Department at: 619-531-2000 or San Diego Police Crime Related Information.

If you would like to report a hate crime in the unincorporated (non-city) areas, the Sheriff's Department provides generalized patrol and investigative services. Please contact the non-emergency dispatch at 858-565-5200.

The California Penal Code Section 422.55 refers to hate crimes as:
(a) “Hate crime” means a criminal act committed, in whole or in part, because of one or more of the following actual or perceived characteristics of the victim:

  1. Disability
  2. Gender
  3. Nationality
  4. Race or ethnicity
  5. Religion
  6. Sexual orientation
  7. Association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics


(b)“Hate crime” includes, but is not limited to, a violation of Section 422.6

The City Attorney’s Office participates in the San Diego Regional Hate Crimes Coalition, a group formed to unite law enforcement agencies with community-based organizations to tackle the issues presented by hate crimes in the community.

Important Resources

  • VINELink
    Use VINELink to be notified immediately if a defendant is released from custody.
  • San Diego City Attorney Victim Services
    Phone 619-533-4500
    Fax 619-533-5505
  • Victims' Bill of Rights
    Learn more
  • California Victim Compensation Board (CalVCB) CalVCB Helpline: 1-800-777-9229 (phone) / 1-866-902-8669 (fax)
    The California Victim Compensation Board (CalVCB) can help pay bills and expenses that result from certain violent crimes. Victims of crime who have been injured or have been threatened with injury may be eligible for help.