Original First Avenue Bridge, Known as The People's Bridge
Photo by Unknown, 1930
1930 photo of the original First Avenue Bridge crossing over Maple Canyon. Known as the 'People's Bridge', it was erected at the instigation of property owners under the Improvement Act of 1911. It was replaced with a steel arch bridge in 1931 that had been completely assembled on the floor of a mid-western fabrication plant, dismantled and shipped to San Diego. It was renovated and retrofitted in 2010. The bridge is located in Bankers Hill on First Avenue between Nutmeg and Palm avenues.