Fire Station 28 was originally built in 1958 as Station 26 at a cost of $68,100, it became Fire Station 28 in July 1958.
Fire Station 28 serves Kearny Mesa/Montgomery Field and its surrounding areas. Engine 28's district is 7.76 square miles.
Fire Station 28 is responsible for testing the pumping capacity of each new fire engine before it is placed into a station. Fire Station 28 ensures the engines actually pump the amount of water the manufacturer specifies.