Human Relations Commission Annual Awards
2018 Nominations are now open. Submit nominations here!
Call for Nominations for 2018
City of San Diego Human Relations Commission AwardsNOMINATIONS DUE SEPT. 21 FOR INDIVIDUALS, GROUPS WHO PROMOTE PEACE, SOCIAL JUSTICE AND HUMAN AND CIVIL RIGHTS
SAN DIEGO – The City of San Diego’s Human Relations Commission has announced a call for nominations for its annual recognition awards. The theme for this year’s event is “I Am Because We Are.” The awards honor individuals and groups who have made outstanding contributions to peace, social justice, and human and civil rights in our community. Members of the public are encouraged to submit nominations.
“The recognition awards ceremony is an excellent opportunity for the public and the Commission to spotlight worthy individuals and organizations that improve communities through respect and understanding,” said Thyme Curtis, Executive Director of the Human Relations Commission. “I urge everyone to take the time to consider nominations for these awards.”
The deadline for submitting nominations is Friday, Sept. 21, 2018. A submission form and other information is available on the Human Relations Commission website at www.sandiego.gov/human-relations/awards/award-nomination.
Award categories include:
- Keith M. Turnham Humanitarian Award, named for former Human Relations Commissioner and dedicated community activist, Keith M. Turnham. The award recognizes and honors a veteran who exemplifies public and community service.
- Business Diversity Award, which recognizes a business or corporation for its focus on diversity and inclusion in its organizational philosophy, as demonstrated through its corporate leadership, employment policies, corporate giving, and/or community initiatives.
- Commission Partner Award, which acknowledges that partnerships are key to accomplishing positive change in the community. The awardee is an individual or organization that has worked closely with the Human Relations Commission through the year on priority issues.
- Human Relations Commendations, which acknowledge people who have had a profound impact on both the community and the Commission.
- Ashley L. Walker Social Justice Award, named for former Commission Executive Director Ashley L. Walker. The person or organization selected has demonstrated outstanding and sustained contributions in promoting inclusion and equality in our community. Additional criteria include:
1. Awardee believes in and has taken action toward equality and humane treatment of all community members;
2. Awardee’s good works significantly impacted the growth of respect, inclusion and civic engagement of all community groups; and
3. Awardee demonstrated a long-term commitment to our community by living, working or volunteering in San Diego.
The awards ceremony will be open to the public and held on Thursday, Nov. 8, 2018, at the San Diego Central Library @ Joan Λ Irwin Jacobs Common Shiley Special Events Suite, located at 330 Park Blvd., ninth floor, San Diego, CA 92101. The Ashley L. Walker Social Justice Award will be presented independently at Alliance San Diego’s annual All Peoples Celebration on Jan. 21, 2019.
Keith Turnham Humanitarian Award: Gilbert Field, San Diego Veterans for Peace
Commission Partner Award: San Diego Anti-Defamation League
Human Relations Commission Commendations
- Darwin Fishman, Peace Resources Center of San Diego
- Tyra Hawthorne, Heartbeat Music & Performing Arts Academy
- Ian Morton, San Diego Human Dignity Foundation
- Mia Roseberry, Wounded Warrior Homes
- Teresa Smith, Dreams for Change
Ashley L. Walker Social Justice Award: Mohammad Ahmed
Keith Turnham Humanitarian Award: Bob Lehman
Business Diversity Award: Brown Law Group
Commission Partner Award: Immigrant Rights Consortium
Human Relations Commission Commendations
- Dr. William Jenkins
- Terry Josiah
- Fernando Lopez
- Debbie M. Martinez
- Tracy Morris
- Michael Snyder
Ashley L. Walker Social Justice Award: Susan E. Cayleff, San Diego State University, Department of Women’s Studies