- Conduct and promote activities that foster mutual respect and understanding.
- Protect basic human and civil rights.
- Create an atmosphere that promotes amicable relations among all members of the San Diego community.
For more information on the commission, please see: City Ordinance Establishing HRC
- advises the Mayor and City Council on methods to assure that all city residents have equal access to economic, political and educational opportunities and equal access to service protection and accommodation in all businesses and public agencies.
- collaborates with community groups to create comprehensive educational programs address interracial, inter-religious and intercultural understanding.
- investigates and mediates discrimination complaints of employment, housing and public accommodations.
There are 15 Commission members; seven appointed by the Mayor and one appointed by each of the eight City Council Members. The Commissioners are confirmed by the City Council and serve staggered four-year terms. The Commission's staff consists of an Executive Director and Executive Secretary.
The public is encouraged to attend the meetings to bring to the Commission's attention, any human relations' problems, ideas or concerns.
Third Wednesday, every month
Meeting Agendas and Minutes
To receive Commission meeting agendas, announcements for Commission events and programs, or to be included on the Commission's mailing list, please contact us.