Establishing A Permit District
To establish a permit district, contact the Traffic Engineering Division at (619) 533-3126 and ask for a petition.
- Circulate the petition among the residents in the neighborhood. The petition must be at least 50% of the residents in the affected area. Only residents may sign; signatures of property managers or non-resident property owners are not accepted.
- Return the petition to the Traffic Engineering Division. A parking survey will be conducted to evaluate the impact on the neighborhood of parking by commuter vehicles.
- If the survey indicates that a residential permit parking district should be established, a noticed public hearing will be held for all residents of the proposed district.
- Final decision on establishments of a district is made by the City Council.
- The entire process to establish a residential permit parking district will take approximately one year.