Permits and Licensing
San Diego Police Permits and Licensing works to uncover and prevent illegal activity from occurring in those businesses or occupations deemed police regulated pursuant to Chapter 3, Article 3, Divisions 1-45, of the San Diego Municipal Code. Police Permits and Licensing closely monitors the regulated activities through the permit and licensing process, investigations and inspections. Police Permits and Licensing enforces the laws and regulations by working in cooperation with the regulated businesses, encouraging voluntary compliance, and being responsive to the community's concerns regarding vice and criminal activity. Police Permits and Licensing's objectives are as follows:
- To enforce the provisions of law related to police regulated activities in a fair and unbiased manner.
- To contribute to the safety and security of the community via prudent investigation of applications, timely inspections, and diligent enforcement of police regulated businesses and occupations.
- To protect the public from harm, fraud or deceit by preventing unscrupulous persons from operating and engaging in police regulated businesses or occupations.
- To be responsive to the needs of the community and the needs of the permit holders by basing decisions on common sense. Striving to make decisions on those needs that are balanced, moral, legal, and without personal favoritism.
- To treat all applicants with dignity and respect, protecting their rights and privacy.
- To maintain high professional standards and continually seek improvements and innovations in the licensing process in order to provide the best customer service possible.