Vacation House Check
Do you have a vacation coming up and want to make sure your house is secure while you're away? You can sign up for a Vacation House Check.
This service is provided on an as-available basis. It is not for vacant homes, residences for sale or long-term absences.
What is a Vacation House Check?
Vacation House Checks are periodic security checks on your home while you are away. The check will include a walkthrough of the home's exterior check for:
- Security of windows and doors
- Safety concerns
- Property damage
- Evidence of vandalism or intruders
If any issues are found, the owner and/or emergency contact will be notified, and an appropriate response determined.
What Should I do Before I Leave?
Take these recommended actions before your trip:
- Lock all doors and windows. Use dowel rods to secure sliding doors and windows.
- Consider leaving an internal light and external lights on to deter criminals. If possible, use timers to schedule them to come on.
- Provide an emergency contact with a key.
- Cancel services such as housekeepers who might unknowingly access your home. List all gardeners, pet caregivers, pool services or others who may access the property on the Vacation House Check Form.
- Pull in all trash containers from the curb.
- Limit/stop package deliveries that may be placed at your front door.
When Should I Submit a Vacation House Check Form?
Vacation House Checks should be submitted at least two weeks prior to your departure date.
Contact your police division if your departure or return dates change.
The Vacation House Check request is only valid for the dates you submit. You will need to submit a separate Vacation House Check request for each planned outage.
How Do I Apply?
Apply online to request a security check on your home while you are on vacation. Requests should be made at least two weeks before your scheduled vacation. A San Diego Police representative may contact you for more information if necessary.