The City of San Diego is modifying the roadway segment of University Avenue between Fairmount Avenue and Euclid Avenue to improve safety and mobility along the University Avenue corridor for pedestrians, transit and automobile traffic.
The University Avenue Complete Street Phase 1 project will construct safety improvements along University Avenue, between Fairmount Avenue and Euclid Avenue, featuring:
- Roadway improvements, including traffic signals, raised medians, roundabouts and re-striping.
- Pedestrian improvements, including enhanced pedestrian crossings, widened sidewalks and curb ramps.
- Transit improvements, including new transit stops and extended existing transit stops.
- Drainage improvements, including a new storm drain system.
The overall project is within one of the most densely populated areas in San Diego. The area includes residential neighborhoods, business districts, major arterial corridors that connect neighborhoods, local streets and pedestrian corridors.
Schedule and Budget
Current Status (as of July 24):
Construction work continues to take place on University Avenue. In the next eight weeks, the contractor will continue installing curb ramps, drainage, trees, landscape areas and widening sidewalks between Menlo Avenue and Highland Avenue. The overall project is anticipated to be completed in the summer of 2024.
The remaining work still to be completed includes:
- Asphalt resurfacing.
- Installing three roundabouts with curb extensions at the Highland Avenue, Chamoune Avenue and Menlo Avenue intersections.
- Installing raised medians along University Avenue.
- Installing rectangular rapid flashing beacons for pedestrian crosswalks.
- Installing a HAWK (High-Intensity Activated crossWalk) traffic control device used to stop road traffic and allow pedestrians to cross safely.
- Installing storm drain system.
- Installing curb ramps to facilitate access for people with disabilities.
- Installing landscaping and planting new trees along University Avenue.
- Widening sidewalks.
More information on the project’s schedule and budget is available here.
Email Updates and Contact Information
All efforts will be taken to minimize impacts on the residents and businesses in the community. The impacts may change as construction progresses. To help keep the community informed about the anticipated construction activities and impacts, updates will be posted on this page and emailed to subscribers as significant events occur.
To receive the email updates, submit your email address in the "Join Our Email List" box on the right side of this page and select the "Project Updates: University Avenue Complete Street Phase 1" email list.