Upas Street Pipeline Replacement Project
The Upas Street Pipeline, Park Boulevard Pipeline and 5th Avenue Pipeline are more than 70 years old and are reaching the end of their useful lifecycle. They are badly deteriorated and have a recent history of leakage and pipe breaks.
The Upas Street pipeline also crosses vast open space areas that are difficult or impossible to access for routine maintenance and repairs, and has numerous direct service connections that must be relocated to a new, smaller distribution pipeline for consistency with current codes and design standards.
The project will improve water delivery system reliability; increase operational flexibility; reduce overall maintenance needs and costs; and substantially reduce the potential for failure, major pipeline repairs and service shut-downs. The project scope includes:
- Replacing approximately 5.4 miles (28,500 linear feet) of fragile and deteriorating cast iron water mains along Upas Street, Park Boulevard and 5th Avenue, reducing the potential of pipeline failures.
- Replacing Pressure Regulating Stations at West Upas Street and Brant Street; at Upas Street and Hawk Street; and at Upas Street and Park Boulevard, bringing the facilities up to current standards.
- Installing a new Pressure Regulating Station at Upas Street and 7th Avenue, providing operation flexibility and enhancing system reliability.
- Phase 1 Construction Schedule:
- Park Blvd. from Upas Street to Robinson Ave. (Complete)
- 5th Ave. from Upas Street to Robinson Ave. (Complete)
- Phase 2 Construction Schedule (Fall 2015 through Spring 2016*):
- Cabrillo Canyon Trail – Seventh Avenue to Vermont Street (Complete)
- Upas Street (Trenchless Pipe Installation) – Seventh Avenue to Vermont Street (Complete)
- W. Upas Street – Pacific Coast Highway (north) to Pacific Coast Highway (south)
- Phase 3 Construction Schedule (Spring 2016 through Summer 2016*):
- Sassafras – India Street to Kettner Blvd.
- Upas Street – Fourth Ave to Seventh Ave
- Upas Street – Installation of Pressure Reducing Station at 7th Avenue
- W. Upas Street –Albatross Street to Brant Street
- Albatross Street – South of W. Upas Street to W. Walnut Avenue
- W. Walnut Avenue – Albatross Street to Front Street
- Front Street – W. Upas Street to W. Walnut Avenue
- Phase 4 Construction Schedule (Summer 2016 through Fall 2016*):
- Upas Street – Front Street to Fourth Avenue
- Upas Street – Vermont Street to Louisiana Street
- Phase 5 Construction Schedule (Fall 2016 through Fall 2017*):
- W. Upas Street – Goldfinch Street to northbound Pacific Coast Highway
- Upas Street – Louisiana Street to 30th Street
- Upas Street – Installation of Pressure Reducing Station at Park Blvd.
- Completion of surface improvements.
*Dates are approximate and subject to change.
The project's planning, design and construction budget is $32.2 million.
For questions or concerns about the project, call the Public Works Department construction project information line at (619) 533-4207, email [email protected], or submit your inquiry online. Please reference the "Upas Street Pipeline Replacement Project" in your inquiry.