Grand Jury Reports
The San Diego County Grand Jury investigates and reports on operations of governmental programs of the County, cities and special districts. A new Grand Jury is chosen by July 1 each year. Grand Jury members are nominated by Superior Court Judges to serve one-year terms.
Each year the City of San Diego receives a number of Grand Jury reports referencing specific City policies and operations. Some of the reports are directed to the Mayor, while some are directed to the City Council or an individual City department.
This webpage provides easy access to Grand Jury reports directed to the City of San Diego, the resulting City responses, and status updates where applicable.
This webpage was created to fulfill City Council Policy (CP) 000-33, which was implemented in 2015. The goal of that policy is to provide transparency and accountability with respect to implementation of accepted Grand Jury recommendations. CP 000-33 was created as an alternative and effective approach to a recommendation in the 2013/2014 Grand Jury report, “Say What You’ll Do and Then Do What You Say: Past Grand Jurors Association Implementation Review Committee."
2017/2018 Grand Jury Reports & Responses
- The Resource Access Program Report
- City of San Diego Corporate Partnership Development Program
- Improving the San Diego Citizens Initiative Process
- San Diego Continues to Lose Money on Stadium Management
- San Diego Community Review Board on Police Practices (CRB)
- The San Diego Hepatitis A Epidemic: (Mis)Handling a Public Health Crisis
- San Diego City Community Planning Group
2016/2017 Grand Jury Reports & Responses
- Comprehending the Plight of San Diego's Homeless: Is there a Sea Change Coming?
- San Diego Unified School District School Board Elections - Time for a Change
- Stop Kicking the Can Down the Road San Diego's 1992 Transparency Law Must be Enforced
- Broken Garbage Cans, City Apathy, Free Cans for a Few - What a Mess
- City of San Diego's Real Estate Assets Department - Leasehold Management Has Weaknesses
2015/2016 Grand Jury Reports & Responses
- San Diego's Bikesharing Program Needs Help
- Citizen Oversight Boards of Police Behavior
- Campaign Law Enforcement & Training: City and County of San Diego
2014/2015 Grand Jury Reports & Responses
- Compensation of City of San Diego Elected Officials
- San Diego Convention Center Corporation
- Balboa Park Celebration: Lessons Learned
- The Ongoing Need for Downtown Public Restrooms
- Officer Involved Shootings of Aggressive Dogs
- San Diego Police Department Property & Evidence Room: Review of Operations
2013/2014 Grand Jury Reports & Responses
- Don't Give Me A Break - Water Distribution Problems in the City of San Diego
- Emergency Response Times - Does Your Zip Code Dictate Your Chance for Survival?
- Give Me Shelter - An Inquiry into the first year of operation of Connections Housing
- Politics and Water Do Not Mix - The Dark Side
- Say What You'll Do and Then Do What You Say-Past Grand Jurors Association Implementation Review Committee
- Senior Volunteer Patrols
- Updating San Diego's City Charter: A Recommendation to Amend the Charter's Provisions Related to Removal of Elected Officials