Maintenance and Testing of Fire Protection Systems
Sprinkler and Standpipe Systems
Periodic maintenance and a Five Year Service Test are required for sprinkler and standpipe systems per Title 19, Chapter 5 and the current adopted version of California Edition of NFPA 25. A licensed contractor (C16 license) must perform the service test every five years.
A license is not required to perform maintenance inspections.
Fire Alarm Systems
A fire alarm system must be tested periodically in accordance with the California Fire Code and the current adopted edition of NFPA 72 as amended by the State of California.
- The alarm system must be tested annually.
- Supervisory valve switches (including those which are part of a sprinkler or standpipe system), and the water flow (i.e. main drain test) and Inspector's Test which are part of a sprinkler system, must be tested as specified in the current adopted NFPA references as amended by the State of California.
- The person performing the test must either be a licensed alarm contractor (C7 or C10) or must have received specialized training for the system for which he/she is responsible.
Systems Out of Service
- When a fire protection system is out of service, a fire watch may be required. In addition, the Fire Communications Center should be notified at 858-974-9891 as well as Fire Prevention Bureau at 619-533-4400.
- See the policy on Disrupted Service-Fire Protection Systems for further details.