San Diego

Accessibility Tools

Domestic Violence Resources


24 Hour Domestic Violence Hotline

1-888-385-4657 (DVLINKS)

If you or someone you know is a victim of abuse, DVLINKS confidential counselors will help connect you with and Advocate. They will provide you with information on confidential DV shelters, counseling referrals, safety planning and other valuable resources.

California law defines domestic violence as abuse committed against an adult or a minor who is a spouse, former spouse, roommate, former roommates, or person with whom the suspect has had a child or is having or has had a dating or engagement relationship (California Penal Code Section 13700 (b)).

Planning For Your Safety

  • File a police report with your local law enforcement.
  • A Safety Plan can be as simple as leaving an emergency bag packed with someone you trust.  Consider packing money, a phone charger, clothes, important documents, keys, phone numbers to DV Hotlines, family, and friends for the safety of you and your children.
  • Obtain a temporary restraining order. Contact the FAMILY JUSTICE CENTER at (619) 533-6000.
  • SAFE AT HOME PROGRAM - Ask an advocate or a counselor about a confidential mailing address or visit the SAFE AT HOME Program http://www.sos.ca.gov/registries/safe-home/about-safeathome
  • If the abuser has been arrested, you can register to be notified of their anticipated release date from jail by calling VINELIink 1-877-411-5588 or register online at https://vinelink.com/#/home

Public Service Announcement


I filed a police report. What happens now?

I did not call the police or press charges. The other person was arrested. Why?

I do not want to press charges. Why is there a case?

What are my rights as a victim?

I have injuries/medical bills from the incident. How can I get help with paying for them?

I didn’t ask for a Criminal Protective Order, why did the court put one in place?

How do I modify a Criminal Protective Order?

How do I get a Temporary Restraining Order?

What is the difference between a Temporary Restraining Order and a Criminal Protective Order?

How can I get a copy of the police report?

I have filed a police report, how do I find out the status of my case?

I have more evidence, who do I give it to?

How do I file for restitution for property that was damaged during the incident?

Restitution was ordered but why have I not received any payments?

Why were charges not filed?



You must have Javascript enabled to use this form.