Skip to main content


Traffic Accidents, Reports, Tickets and Concerns

Report a Traffic Collision or Accident

SDPD responds only to injury accidents and hit-and-run collisions where there are injuries or potential suspect or lead information on who may have committed it.

If your accident involves an injury or a hit and run, call 9-1-1.

Depending on the information provided to the dispatcher, you may be directed to the nearest police station to complete a report.


Freeway Incidents: Accidents, road rage, road hazards or other issues occurring on a California freeway can be reported to California Highway Patrol 800-835-5247.

If the accident includes property damage, exchange the following information with the other driver:

  • name
  • address
  • insurance information
  • driver's license number
  • date of birth
  • phone number
  • owner of the vehicle
  • owner's address
  • vehicle year
  • vehicle make and model
  • vehicle license number and state. 

Also, note the date, time and location of the accident. Notify your insurance company of the accident.

The California DMV provides a printable pamphlet you can keep in your car to help you know what to do if you’re in a traffic collision.

Get a Copy of Your Accident Report

NOTE: Police reports are not released to arrested individuals and/or suspects. These individuals may obtain reports through their legal representatives through the discovery and/or subpoena process.

Under Vehicle Code section 20012, anyone subject to civil liability gets a copy of the accident report, including:

  • Drivers
  • Injured passengers
  • Insurance companies
  • Employers (if driver is an employee).
  • Does NOT apply to trolleys or bicycles unless a vehicle is also involved

Request Accident Report

Hit and Run Collisions

The San Diego Police Department offers online reporting for Hit and Run collisions where there are no injuries, no suspect information, and no leads, and the report is only needed for insurance purposes. 

If you need to provide further information for a hit and run collision you've already reported, call 858-495-7842. Please have your case number ready to provide. 

Parking or Traffic Citations

Pay or appeal a parking citation

Pay a traffic citation or request an extension (San Diego Superior Court)

Report a Parking Violation

Towed Vehicles

Learn more about how to report or retrieve Abandoned & Towed Vehicles.

Traffic Concern?

This form is not for reporting parking-related issues. Please use the Get It Done app to report parking violations.

You can report traffic-related problems in your neighborhood using the online Citizen Traffic Concern Form. The form asks for information about the location and nature of the problem, when it occurs and whether you'd like to be contacted directly. Once submitted, the request will be forwarded to SDPD's Traffic Division for follow-up.

Tell us about a traffic-related concern