The Predator... Is He Your Child's Friend Online?
A predator will send a friend request to your child on their social media account, and begin to "groom" your child. They may:
- Tell your child "I'm the only one who understands you"
- Isolate your child from friends and family
- Send gifts through the mail such as plane tickets, cell phone, etc.
- Tell your child "I Love You"
In some cases, they may ask your child for pictures of themselves without their clothes on, then blackmail them in to:
- Sending more pictures
- Sending money
- Meeting in person for sex
What to Do if You Suspect Your Child Is Communicating with a Predator Online
If your child is victimized:
- Make it clear that the victimization is not his/her fault
- Save all of the evidence of victimization, such as emails or instant message conversations
- Contact your local law enforcement agency