Now you can get involved in the effort to increase our urban canopy by participating in the City's Free Tree SD initiative. This program allows residents to engage with the City for our mutual benefit by creating a more livable and beautiful environment.
San Diegans can get a new tree, free of charge - all you have to do is identify a space in the public right-of-way that could benefit from a new tree and fill out and submit the form below. City horticulturists will evaluate the space and determine an appropriate tree selection.
Once the free tree(s) are planted, we ask that you help the City Water the tree for three years during the tree(s) establishment period.If you are altering the property adjacent to the City's right-of-way, you may not qualify for the free tree initiative. Please review the City's Policies & Planning in regards to tree plantingTrees make our neighborhoods more beautiful and livable. They also keep us cool, make the environment greener, and save us money on energy costs.
To receive a FREE TREE for your parkway (the area between your sidewalk and street curb), please review the conditions of agreement and fill out the below form.
- Location of property must be within City of San Diego limits
- Resident/property owner agrees to water the tree for three years to get tree’s life started per the recommended watering schedule noted below
- The City’s horticulturist will review your parkway to determine an appropriate tree species
- Resident/property owner understands that driveways, street corners, fire hydrants and other objects may limit where tree(s) can be planted
To properly nurture your tree, please follow the recommended watering schedule:
- First Year: Water tree 2 times/week, using 5-10 gallons each watering
- Second Year: Water tree 2 times/month, using 10-15 gallons each watering
- Third Year: Water tree at least 1 time/month, using 10-15 gallons each watering
- Years After: Continue to water the tree at least once a month, and more frequently during periods of high temperatures or scarce rainfall
- The cost of watering your tree(s) will vary depending on the species and size of tree AND the cost is assumed by the resident/property owner.
*Indicates a required field.