Be a participant in the City's tree planting efforts! Through Free Tree SD, residents can request a new street tree. This program allows residents and the City to work together by increasing San Diego's tree canopy cover, creating a more livable and sustainable community for all.
San Diegans, all you need to do is identify a space in the public right-of-way, agree to water the tree for three years, and submit the form below. City arborists will evaluate the space and determine an appropriate tree selection.
Once the Free Tree is planted, we ask that you water it for three years during the tree establishment period. Details can be found by expanding the 'Watering Schedule' below (click on the plus icon).
To receive a Free Tree for your parkway (the area between your sidewalk and street), please review the conditions of agreement and fill out the form below.
- Location of your address must be within City of San Diego limits.
- Resident/property owner agrees to water the tree for three years per given watering guidelines.
- City arborists will review your parkway to determine appropriate species and quantity of trees.
- Resident/property owner understands that driveways, street corner, fire hydrants, existing trees and other objects may limit where tree(s) can be planted.
- Future tree locations must contain existing topsoil or natural turf as the City does not remove landscaping and does not plant in gravel or rock gardens.
Note: If you are altering the property adjacent to the City's right-of-way, you may not qualify for Free Tree SD. Please review the City's Policies & Planning in regards to tree planting requirements for such projects.
To properly nurture your tree, please follow the recommended watering schedule:
- First Year: Water tree 2 times/week, using 5-10 gallons each watering.
- Second Year: Water tree 2 times/month, using 10-15 gallons each watering.
- Third Year: Water tree at least 1 time/month, using 10-15 gallons each watering.
- Years After: Continue to water the tree at least once a month, and more frequently during periods of high temperatures or scarce rainfall.
- The cost of watering your tree(s) will vary depending on the species and size of tree AND the cost is assumed by the resident/property owner.
*Indicates a required field.